1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GreatPlains, Dec 5, 2004.

1. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

I have a 2003 GMC Yukon XL (Suburban) 3/4 ton 4WD with the 8.1L engine. I will be getting a 7' 6" Western Standard Poly/Ultramount installed next week or so.

I will be plowing about 1000' of rock lane and a neighbor or two at times this winter. I live in the country and want tires that are good snow/mud/ice performers.

What would you suggest? I have looked at Mickey Thompson Baja Radials. I want something that will still run decent on the highway since I travel into town for work.

What works well in snow for you?

2. Do a search on Tires, I've seen quite a few threads on here lately.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If you have not bought yet you might consider a Fisher for gravel lanes because its trip edge design is suburb for this based on personal experiance. The western will do its best on paved surfaces. I have been doing some country lanes for about 20 years now and I will keep a at least one Fisher around as long as I do them too.

On tires since it is gravel get something with big open cleats the will bite well in the rocky surface
  4. GreatPlains

First - Tarkus - thanks for the suggestion. I already bought!

After taking the suggestion to search and read (a few hours later!) I have narrowed my search down to 3 different tires:

1. Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo (highest rated at tirerack.com)
    2. Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX (tirerack doesn't carry this so no ratings)
    3. BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A

If you have used any of these I'd like your opinion (good or bad results).

One other question: Many have stated that a narrower tire will be better for snow in that it cuts through the snow and down to the surface, biting better. This makes sense.

My 3/4 Yukon XL has stock 245/75R16E now. Should I stay with this size, go with 285/75R16 or ?? At least one person mentioned going with 235/85R16E - tall and narrow. Any suggestions? Comments?

5. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

'02 2500HD w/ dmax here, goign through the same process as you. I was also eyeing up the Bridgestones. I posted on another site looking for feedback on them, I'll let you know if anyone says anything interesting. I was planning to bump up to 265's. I thought the 285's might be a bit too big a jump, but that's just based on something I read about one size up usually being a safe fit.
  6. GreatPlains

I think you'll find that the 285's would require a lift kit. From what I read the 265's should fit.

I'd like the wider tire but if the 245 will operate better overall I'll go with that.
  7. Devonian

Devonian Junior Member

I have an 01 2500HD, based on some research on this site I purchased BF Goodrich T/A 285's. I just had them put on a few days ago, prior to that it was the 245's that came with the truck. They are surprisingly quiet, with a fairly aggressive tread. They seem to fit fine except when the steering is pinned all the way in one direction (like you would do if parallel parking) some of the tread does rub against one of the plastic shields in the wheel well.

It's not ideal, but I have to say they look like they'd go through just about anything.
  8. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 4WD (new body style).. I have Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's in 265/75/16. I replaced the OEM Firestone Steeltex tires and these are a big improvement. I was all set to buy them from Tire Rack, and then called the local Firestone store. They gave me a buy 3, get the 4th free, which Tire Rack did not offer. I haven't used them in snow yet, but they're great in dry & wet and I think they'll perform well in snow. They're not cheap, although I think I got a good deal on them due to the 4 for 3 deal. They ended up at about $650 OTD for a set of 4 with mount, balance & alignment. Plus they rotate for free for the life of the tire.

One thing - with a 3/4 ton, make sure whatever tire you buy is the same load rating or higher than what GM put on originally. Mine required load rating "E". Tire Rack & local store both told me a lower load rating would make for mushy handling due to a softer sidewall.
  9. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

I have ran both BFG's and AT REVO's. Icurrently have the AT REVO'S on 3 trucks, 1995 chevy tahoe 2 dr. 1992 chevy p-u and a 2000 ford EXP. and love them. as for size my 95 came with 245/75/16 i can fit and have 285/75/16 on it now. good luck :D
  10. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

o' one more thing you could do which is very helpful is see if you can phone like discount tire, " dont know if you have one around" they can tell you what the biggest size would be. also out here they will actually test fit a 285 to see if it will hit anything ;) you might want to give them a shot :p
  11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

BFGoodrich AT T/A. Bar none these have made my ride year after year for the last 14 years on two different trucks. Good on the highway, excellent for grip.
  12. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

Good year wranger MT/R good tire!
  13. GreatPlains

OK - I went and looked at the GY Wrangler MT/R today. It's very aggressive and is rated very well for both mud and snow traction. However, I see the wet traction isn't too good and they are rated pretty poorly for road noise as well.

I don't doubt they'd be good snow tires by 80-90% of my driving is probrably on dry pavement, not mud or snow.

tirerack.com has them rated up there with the BFG all-terrrain and the Bridgestone dueller A/T revo.

What to do?
  14. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Don't know if it helps anyone, but...

Just got rid of my Goodyear Wrangler AT's off my Tahoe. Came with the truck when purchased. Put 30k miles on them this past year. Had a pull in the steering and they traced it (after an alignment, balance, rotation, and two more visits) to a bad tire. One front tire was wearing differently than the others. Tire guy said that the Goodyears are known for uneven wear. Can anyone corroborate this??

Anyway, got the BFG All Terrain A/Ts put on today. THEY ARE AWESOME!! The truck looks so much better with them. Didn't notice much difference at all in noise (at highway speeds) or in driveability on dry roads.

Can't wait to try them in the snow....if we ever get any here in DC. AARRGH!
  15. GreatPlains

PlowVA - thanks for the input.

What size did you put on?
  16. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I had the old 245/75/r16's on when I had my alignment done, so rather than having to get another alignment, I stuck with the same size tires. They look great. I keep going outside to look at the truck with the new tires and the new plow. Wife thinks I am 100% certifiable!!! Maybe I'll post some pics tomorrow.
  17. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

winter tires

i bought a set of cooper discoverer M&S and i got to tell you they are absolutely awesome in snow/slush/ice. the only downfall of these is tread wear but for the traction they give who cares. these tires are absolutely phenomenal. i will need to buy new ones each year i can tell. but i don't care as far as i'm concerned there worth it.
  18. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

pics of the new tires

These look so much cooler than my other tires!!

19. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Do like I do, get a extra set of used rims for nasty "snow" tires in winter and regular tires the rest of the year
  20. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

first thing i did rims then bought tires. had them mounted and balanced. then they sat in my basement for a month and a half till i couldn't wait to put them on any longer.