1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Studs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jhook, Dec 9, 2005.

1. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I don't think I ever started a thread before but I have a question. Do any of you guys run studded tires? They are currently illegal here but that is going to change shortly and I am wondering if I should be looking into them for plowing.

Thoughts?

2. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

run them on my truck cooper m/s tires with studs, works great for my use, :nod: :nod: makes the truck seem almost unstopable.......almost found out that the hard way last year.:realmad:. thay do help on ice they grip the ice a little better then just regular tires.

Oh one last thing my father has them on his fullsize travel van four of them and he has no problem getting around in winter.

3. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Not necessary!

I used to run studded tires faithfully, but last year when I bought my new F150, it came with 18" tires and apparently no one made 18" tires which I could studd. So I ended up going all winter, even plowing snow, with all-season tires on, and had no problems at all. Plus, with no studs, if you push too hard, you're tires will spin over before it does any damage to your shaft or transmission. My tires are beginning to wear down now, so next year I'm going to buy some new ones with a real agressive thread and use them year 'round.

4. Same here using tires that came on my Dodge and in the summer i'm gettin the BF Goodrich AT.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Nah, regular truck tires. Only Stud is the one driving the truck. :cool:

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

nope- just good snows here. Search for my post on studded tires. I found some interesting info on them.

7. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Thanks, I looked it up and found the info.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

They're changing the law on that? What have you heard?

They banned studs here because of road wear, pollution, and noise...

9. Pusher Joe

Pusher Joe Junior Member

studded tires

hi
    I presently have have all my trucks studded. Before the studs came along
    I would put chains during snow storms.Everyone knows what a pain they can be putting them on and taking them off. Worst of all is if a link broke and snag a brake line. So if you ask me there life savers.Down side if your heavy on the foot you'll scratch the drives.

10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I see no need with the way snow tires are these days. A set of Blizzaks do the trick.

11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

simply outdated technology. People used them because they had to back before there were great tires like we have today, and before the roads were cleared as rapidly as they are now. Yes they do work, but there is nothing you can't do with a good mud/snow rated tire. And like someone else pointed out, too much traction can be harder on the equipment. If something has to give, I want it to be the tire losing traction, not something in the driveline. And I don't know of any customer who wants the little scratches all over their new driveway.

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll do fine without them. Don't waste your time or money..:nod:

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

at times i wish they were legal here, but like has been said they clear the roads pretty fast after a storm now.

14. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Our wonderful (ly inept) provincial government is finally going to approve the installation of European (synthetic) studs on January 1st. It took them three tries over 4 years to get the amendment to the Highway Traffic Act passed. They will be legal for use by anyone with their vehicle registered in northern Ontario.

I have used steel studs before in British Columbia in logging, and they are a definite benefit. I will put them in my next set of tires on the diesel and Lady Leadfoot's Montana too, since North Bay is still part of Northern Ontario.

15. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I plowed a long time and never used them, was just wondering.

John, you are in North Bay? So am I.

16. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe studs are going to grab so well that your driveline will get damaged. If that is the case, you have a weak driveline to begin with. I've thought about studs, but I can't run them year round and it is too pricey to get a whole set of new wheels and tires just for the winter.