1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Studs for Airport Snow Removal?

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Grip Studs, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Grip Studs

Grip Studs Inactive
    from Merlin

For those of you in ‘the know’, are you aware of any liability/safety concerns over use of screw-in tire studs for airport snow removal?

Thanks!

2. natureguy

natureguy Junior Member
    from indiana

i personally wouldnt do it......if they come out of your tire, they could easily end up in an aircraft tire or worse yet...an engine. i would feel horrible if a 5 cent tire stud cost an airline or corporate operator thousands of dollars/downtime, or worse yet....lives!!! but just my opinion...i work on aircraft as well as do snow removal at a large midwest airport... but let me know if you do start using them.... i wont allow our aircraft to land at your airport during winter months! lol

3. trimaint

trimaint Junior Member
    from 37617

Under no circumstance would I use any type of studs on the airfield. Most airport snow removal begins with less than 1" of snow on the runway and with the correct truck you will have no problem with traction, as for the liability of FOD, not a chance I would take