1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Stipping Stippiling or?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoSpike, Oct 27, 2004.

1. SnoSpike

SnoSpike Junior Member

One of the things we have run across in our move to Idaho is this idea of Stippling (or? Have no idea exactly what is called). As near as I can figure it is some small cuts around the tire that is supposed to help traction..

Anyone know where I get some in depth info on what it is and why I would want it?

Thanks in Advance..

Jeff

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

sipping.....or is it siping? anywho.....look at a real mud tire like a supper swamper tsl. It has large blocks that are solid. Now look at the tire below. Notice the smaller blocks and those blocks have little slits in em? Other tires especially winter tires have even more and better siping than the tire below but you get the point.

http://www.dunloptire.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Radial+Rover+RT&mrktarea=Light+Truck

Siping a tire(in from the factory form or doing it yourself if your tire dosnt have many) makes the lugs bend and contour to the road better. helps in ice and water traction. Also makes the tire run a bit cooler. You can buy a tool and its pretty easy. Also the little slits help to grip the ice better its believed. A tire that has lots of sipping does do alot better on ice than a large block design.

You want it but your tire may come with enough of em from the factory.

3. SnoSpike

SnoSpike Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I get the idea now.
    One of those things I never had to worry about in San Diego was tire choice.. just went and picked a good mid-price tire and went on my way. I have a lot of homework to do to get our vehicles set up for winter.

Jeff

4. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I have heard from a few people that siping is a huge benefit in the snow, ice and rain. I friend of mine works at Discount tire and he did a test on a truck he had. Was snowing and had some slush in the parking lot did a couple of donuts and took it in to sipe the tires. Siped the tires and could NOT make the truck slide around!! Could hardly get the tires to spin at all...

He also found out in Colorado that they sipe snow tires. If you have ever seen a good snow tire they are full of sipes from the factory. To sipe it on top of the factory siping to me seems like over kill but in their conditions it seems to help.

5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

siped tires

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http:http://www.humvee.net/hid/tire/sipe.html
    //www.americastire.com/dtc/brochure/tire/tireSiping.jsp
    I have used Siped tires for many years, The added traction is incredible, The first set I had were not even snow tires and they pulled great. Call around the local tire dealers and see who does it, Also you could get a Hot Knife and do it yourself as well as some other grooving to improve the tread. I have a Hot Knife and often open up a tire that is too smooth.
    Hyperpack

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I sipe all my truck tires including the ones on my L9000 and 2 Bobcats. They run cooler and offer a lot better traction. cost about $12 to $18 each here. and with 48 tires in all it adds up.

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

ouch, can't you do it yourself if you have that many? Good project for the kids in front of the TV :p

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

can't take the bobcats or trucks into the livingroom, wife will get mad.
    By hand it takes about 1 hour per tire to do the type of job I would like and the tire shop does them in 15 minutes each. My time is worth more then that.

9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

that makes sense :)

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Is there any negative effects to siping? does it quicken wear on the tires? Any reasons not to do this to my daily driver?

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

no reason. in our state even the state troopers sipe the tires in the summer. they are said to run cooler so they last longer.

12. whitegrass

whitegrass Junior Member
    from midwest

Syping?

Don't even know if it is a word, but, we used to sipe the tires on our race car to make the tire softer. Heat on the tire over time makes the compound hard and siping allows the rubber to flex more. Brought life to hard tires.

13. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

only negative effects are if you take i tto an incompitent shop and they run the siping onto the sides of the blocks or all the way to the outside of them. It will cause the tire blocks to chunk a little under hard use. Having a tire siped is def worth the gains and almost all tires nowadays are siped from the manufacturer. All those little slits in the tread blocks creatmore biting edges and cause the tire to run cooler as stated above