1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tire sizes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blublzr, Jan 11, 2012.

1. blublzr

blublzr Member

any one know how much of a difference it would make on a "newer" vehicle changing the tize size slightly. i have a 2005 pontiac montana SV6 mini-van that my wife uses to deliver newspapers with. it currently has p225-60-r17 tires on it . this size tire isnt made in a SUV OR LT type tire. i was thinking of going to a p215-65-r17 which is available in a more rugged type tire. the problem we are having is the we go through a set of 4 tires in a year. these are generally 40000mile tires. we are only doing probably 20000mi and the are shot...how much would this change throw things off?

thanks, wilussmileyflag

2. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

those tire sizes should be very close

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

225/60/17 = 27.6 dia

215/65/17 = 28.0 dia

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That size change would be fine. Have you tried sourcing some 16" or even 15" rims? Might be able to get some much less expensive tires.

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Have you tried to narrow down the issue with your tire wear? Are they wearing flat or only the inside, middle, or outside? Are you rotating? Are you buying cheap tires? Are you having alignments done? Is maybe the issue that there is just way too much weight? Is the pressure your running too low, too high?

Before I went and spent more money on tires, I'd be getting to the bottom of the premature wear.

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

^What he said. Figure out what's going on...or at least change to a different long-wearing tire and make sure it's well inflated. Throwing a different size at a treadwear problem is probably not going to help. Such a minor change in size also won't cause any problems if you're dead-set on doing it, just the speedometer/odometer/MPG display will be miscalibrated.

7. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

I think he only wants the different tire size so that he has more options for a better load rated tire, not to prevent tire wear due to under/overinflation. If the tires are all wearing evenly but quickly, then a tire with a higher load rating will be better. I'm not sure how many papers are in the van, but if it's anything like the paper vans around here, it will be way overloaded and better tires will carry the weight better and wear better

8. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

the tire size difference will be less than from a brand new tire to a bald tire. It will be nothing to worry about

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

If the load is enough to have that effect on tires then the van is probably way overloaded. Overloaded vehicle issues aside (a minivan full of newspapers is likely used at low speed and not going to hurt anyone for being overloaded), inflation pressure will have to go up to accommodate the increased load on the tires (and chances are this can be done with the original size too).

See a load-inflation chart (google for it, they're standardized so any brand's chart applies to all brands' tires) to figure out how much inflation is necessary or just inflate to the tire's maximum rating. Most likely, GM specified 35psi for the van and the tires are rated for 44psi maximum.

10. blublzr

blublzr Member

he everyone, thanks for your responses, the deal with tires wearing , is probably a number things . lots of low speed turning ,stoping & starting.The tire wear is a pretty uniform across the tire. The alignment has always been good , and the tires always get rotated at each oil change. This van is used for this about 3 hours per day for this task.. the previous 2 sets of tires have been good quality tires. I was thinking of changing the size , increase the the load capacity , and maybe get a stifffer sidewalled tire. I was thinking of going with a goodyear wrangler SR/A . If you guys have anymore ideas please let me know.

11. kingcat400

kingcat400 Member

look into a michilen(think thats how its spelled) my dad has them on his dd and they are hard as a rock and almost don't wear he has put over 55,000 in them and they look like brand new.