1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scotty2222, Dec 3, 2001.

1. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

What would be the best tire for plowing. Right now I have 315 75r 16bfg on the truck. Would it be better to go back to the stock size tires or keep these on. Stock size is I think they are 265 75r 16. Which is better skinny tire or wide tire for snow:confused:
  2. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Can any one help with this question. I've already search and found nothing regarding this issue.
  3. captjack

captjack Member

I would say, go with a set of 235/85r16 tires or 255/85r16. You will need to get a set of stock wheels(6.5-7.5 wide).
  4. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Scotty, that is the equivelant of a 35" tire. Even with a low gear ratio of say 4.11:1 that will be a lot of strain on your axles. Personally, i would go to www.4wheelparts.com and get a set of Pro-Comp Mud Terrain 305/70 16 (equivelant of 33" tire) Only use them for snow plowing. I use them on my Ford and they have proven their weight in gold. I am on my third season with them but I use them year round. Plus, I go wheeling with them and they are awesome in sand and mud and rocks. Just about everything you can throw at them. Every other tire I had I chewed them up in a year. Especially the BFG MT's You can get a set of those Pro Comp's for about $500.00 delivered.