1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tire size

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hd2500, Oct 31, 2005.

1. hd2500

hd2500 Junior Member

I'm picking up my first plow tomorrow - a curtis 8' trip edge. I have a 2004 chevy 2500hd 6.0l - my "winter" tires are 245's - are these too small for plowing?? I've been thinking of moving up to 265's or 285's, but my old set is almost brand new... is it worth the extra $$ to go bigger?
  2. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

nope....keep the tires you got now...as long as their not a foot wide you shouldent have any problems with traction.....in my oppinion if they have good tread i would keep them on there.....
  3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I agree....

I agree ,if your tires are in good shape then hang on to them.Going wider is not a good idea for plowing, as the wider the tire the more it floats ontop of the snow instead of digging in for traction.Plus they are less wear and tear on your truck and better fuel mileage.
  4. hd2500

hd2500 Junior Member

I knew skinny was better, but i appreciate the input on the height. Thanks for the replies and info. pumpkin:
  5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

height changes you gear ratio.

The taller the tire the higher your gear ratio from stock height(more top speed ,less low end power).
    Tall tires look cool, but to do it right you need to swap gear sets if you want to keep stock performance.
  6. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

If you go with a bigger tire then you the anti-lock brake system doesnt work...
  7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

235 85 16 are ideal. Certaintly dont go bigger.
  8. danno

danno Senior Member

Yep, thats the best size. On a 10 ply.