1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chevymann, Jan 15, 2004.

1. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

I've heard a lot of opinions about tire size and most of them are that tall and skinny is better because they cut through the snow. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know which is better. I've got a 79 Chevy with a 4" lift and 35"x12.50" tires. I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with these tires in the snow. I've driven through 3 foot snow drifts with know problem. I've never run skinny tires on my 4x4, so I couldn't tell you how they perform. Personally, I think that skinny tires on a 4x4 look gay. Is there anyone out there that has run both skinny and wide tires that thinks one is better than the other? As far as wide tires riding on top of the snow, just use a good meaty tire or drop the plow and there's no snow to ride on top of.
    Just my 2 cents. Any thoughts?

2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I've had several Toyota pickups, all of which I put 33" Mud Kings on. These tires made the truck a deathtrap in the snow. I always put on smaller/ skinnier tires for the winter even though, yes, the truck looked 'less masculine'. The mud tires also didn't have sipes, which are the little grooves or slices, and they didn't perform well on ice at all. I would take a knife blade and put my own sipes on them for when I got caught by a storm before I has changed them. It still wasn't as good as having a proper winter tire though.

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

To many ppl instead of using the proper equipment for the job want to use equipment that looks macho or not gay. Personaly I go for performance not looks. I have allways used tires whether of road in the woods or plowing that are high and not wide. When we are plowing we are creating a slight film of ice behind the plow
    and deep lug tires do not grip as well as a finer all season tread.
    As we get older and have had enough bad experiences we think more and more about safety.

4. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

I'm with bolts, Ive always ran 285' BFG A/T on my trucks. This year I decided to go with Michelin A/T in a 265. but my next set will be the BFG and I will go with a stock 245 size. I've never had any problems with any other size, nor have I looked "gay", but Im going to go with a proper load rating tire for everyday use.Now that I'm ther ripe ol'e age of 22 im starting to see all the things my dad try to instill in me, Even thought they used to seem "gay", they are practical. Thats my $22.02

5. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Geez! I guess I struck a nerve. I didn't mean to offend anyone using skinny tires. Like I said, I've never used them, so I don't know how they perform. I guess if I ever have a problem with the wider tires, I'll give the skinnies a try and see what happens. As far as the "gay" comment goes, that's just my opinion on the looks only. I understand that whether 4-wheelin or plowing, performance counts. So far, the tires I'm using perform just fine. From what I'm hearing though, someday I'm going to run into trouble. We'll see......

6. Bolts Indus.

I don't think you offended anyone. We are all here to exchange ideas and learn from one another. We all get by quite well with what we have. Only when we try other recommended things do we see the difference. thus " OH. MAN WHY DIDN'T I GET THIS ALONG TIME A GO. WHAT A DIFFERENCE."

7. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

I get your point Bolts and If I ever get into trouble, you guys will be the first to know. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong. If I do get into trouble, I'll get a second set of wheels and tires for the snow. Do you have a brand preference?

8. Bolts Indus.

ON THIS SUBJECT IT IS NOT WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG
    It is a question of what we each like based upon experiences. I think all the major companies make good tires.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've had both.

Only good thing a wide tire is good for is dry street traction, muddin' , and driving on sand.

For those with full size trucks w/ 16" wheels, go with a 235/85-16E They're narrower than a 245 and a bit taller than a 265/75.

10. Bolts Indus.

That is true. The principle used in Muddin and sand is to float the vehicle as much as possible. Opposite in snow.

11. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

You guys have really got me curios now. I'm going to have to give these narrow tires a try. I haven't heard anything bad about them and if they perform better than the tires I'm using, great. I'll just take them off in the spring.

12. Bolts Indus.

Right, and save your expensive tires for other uses.

13. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll let you know what I think after I try the narrow tires

14. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

Chevyman, In now way did I not laught everytime I wrote that in my post:D:D. Im all about the big tires but Im going to be pulling a larger trailer this year. I have never cared about E rated tires, Im just going to see if theres a difference in tread wear!

15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i run 31.10.50.15 load rating c dunlop mud tires

16. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Bolts

Settle down and relax a bit with the caps. :cool:

Personally, I prefer a wider tire and air it down to 20 psi. I understand your theory about skinny tires. I have used both and have found them to both work equally well. Don't forget that driver input and horsepower has a lot to do with the performance of the tire. You could have the best donut tire in the world but bolt it onto a truck that weighs 6,000 pounds and add 300 horsepower and a 17 year old kid with more testosterone than brains and your donut may not work very well.The same can be said about fat tires.

In short, everyone has their preferences. Most people go with skinny. I wouldn't try to force my opinion on anyone.

17. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

i run 235/85 -16 on all my trucks

18. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Tire Size-Update

I've done some research and found that the tires I'm currently running (BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's) are great tires for offroad and for snow. I've found several guys using them on their plow trucks and they all love them. Anyone else using these?

19. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I used them to plow on my old '76, and they did OK.

They were 32-11.50-15's

Problem is, the back tires wore down way before the fronts! :D Horsepower and Teen years will do that I guess!

\'76 chevy1.jpg

20. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

WOW Tommy, you don't find those trucks in that good of shape too often