1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire size

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowMatt13, Mar 6, 2010.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for the factory recommended tire size for a 1990 GMC 3500 dually..
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

35/12.50 all the way around would be perfect :D

Is the sticker gone from the door/jamb?
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

sticker gone
    LT 245 75 16 on it now......
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are the duals touching, or close to touching? Many of those trucks came through with 225s and 235s
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Mine came thru with 225/75s in 97. Way too weenie small for me so I went up to 235/85, then eventually 255/85. 235/85 is ideal, no need for a lift and no need for spacers between the duals. I've seen 245s on duallys before and they were touching all the way around. There is a large amount of choices to pick from in 235/85, D or E range available, many different tread patterns. If you're going to be plowing without (this is plowsite, right?) don't be afraid to go with something real aggressive. I made the mistake of thinking my truck has a locker, 4wd, a lot of weight etc, so I don't need aggressive tread. Boy was I wrong. I had some wimpy A/T type tires that just would not plow snow. I've used M/Ts in the past and my current TrXus M/Ts have been phenomenal. Ballast is even more important in a dually, because you are dividing up the weight touching the ground. So each tire is only pressing down half as hard. Plus any real dually is going to have a heavier engine than most of the 2500 plow trucks out there getting by with just a smallblock.
    My 82 came with 215/85s, which is about as embarassing as the 225/75s were.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The reasons the duallies used to come with small tires was to lower the effective gear ratio. Remember 160hp big blocks? The trucks just didn't have the power to move the big weight. 4.56 gears and 215/85 tires would allow you to get alot of weight moving. Just don't be in a hurry to get down the highway :laughing:

I was looking at a C30 the other day with a 350. Was that a fake dually?
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I used the term "real dually" like I would use the term "real truck" when comparing a Chevy to a Ford. Not meaning a 350 dually is "fake", it's just not real in the sense that "real" is intended to be synonymous with "capable", "bad-a##", "tough", etc.
    I have seen duallys with 350s before. I suppose it will do the job, but if you're going to work it to the extent of it's capabilities, you probably ought to have opted for the towing torque of the big block or the diesel. As we all know, horsepower is a meaningless term when it comes to work trucks. Torque is what's important.
    That said, I do get your point about the gear reduction with little tires. I'd never thought of that before, but it makes good sense. I just always figured they used baby tires because duallys weren't really marketed towards offroaders so height or clearance was not an issue; but moreso the low height was to keep the hitch platform within range of where it should be for trailering.
  8. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

go to tirerack.com and put in your info it will give you the OE for what ever your driving
  9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

im pretty sure our 98 dump had 225's on it stock. should be narrow enough. best bet might be if you find 215/85 that way you get some height and no worries about love tapping.