1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Size Question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Tractor Plower, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Hey guys & gals, got a question regarding tire size for ya.
    I have a Kubota Utility Tractor with the AG tires, as this tractor sees alot of field work including making hay. The front tires on this machine, from the factory, are 9.5-16 size. While these tires have worked OK, i feel the need for a wider tire to reduce soil compaction when carrying round bales off the hay fields. My question is: Michelin carries a XM27 R4 tire, in size 11L-R16. Would this tire work as a replacement of the 9.5-16 tire? I am willing to purchase a new set of implement rims, but I need to make sure the tire size difference won't interfere with the MFWD operation.
    Thanks for any help guys!

-Mike:nod:

Edited to include link: http://www.michelinag.com/agx/en-US...mspn/MSPNDetails.jsp?mspn=13902&Units=English

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

If you have a Michelin dealer or Kubota tractor dealer, you should inquire with them. They should know what the difference in tire diameters is allowed along with allowable widths.

3. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I have something similar for my JD5400. I have 11x 24.5 R-1 on the front and 16.5 x 30 R1 on the rear. For any pasture work I do I swap to R4's front and rear. They are a little wider, a little smaller and no cal so I don't tear or compact as much. It's too cold to dig the R4's out of storage to seee what size they are. The key to making a different size work with MFWD is to match the fronts and the rears proportionally. To make something smaller in the front work you may need to change the rears also to prevent tearing up field or driveline parts.

4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I agree with jkitterman. Talk to your tire or tractor dealer- the tractor guy may be able to find what would be a factory option tire size front and rear so get you on the right track. Oops, my pasture tires are R3's not R4's.

5. Tractor Plower

Thanks BOSS, I know i need to make sure the tires are the same size, i just wondered if the 2 tires have the same rolling diameter? i am not sure myself, but wondered if anyone else knew. The easiest fix would be to purchase IND tires (R4) for the front straight from Kubota, however i do not wish to replace the rear tires, as i need the traction, and the IND tires from kubota (skid-steer) will not work with the R1s.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike:redbounce

6. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

As far as being the same rolling dia. I can't say for sure but your tire man should definitely know or he should look for another job!! I have a Kubota L-35 TLB with R4's on it. The fronts suck. Empty or loaded on the front end they do o.k. until it's time to turn Left or right if there is snow or it's a little slippery. Then the SOB just keeps going straight. Usually need to use cutting brakes to get it to turn. Have you tried to come up with a high flotation R1 pattern? May be better than a R4 but probably won't wear as good. Keep us posted!

7. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You may try going over to tractorbynet.com and asking. They seem to have a following. I am afraid you will have to change rear tire size too. The size you want should be larger. Try going to the website for Firestone and the other MFGs and find your specs for your current tires.
    Just peeked at Firestoneag.com and it appears your real close an I think it may work.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  8. Tractor Plower

Hey guys! I just recently attended the Canadian International Indoor Farm show in Toronto. There, I was lucky enough to talk to two very well educated tire experts. After spending a good 30 mins at the booth, with their undivided attention, they had found enough information to set me straight! They said that the rolling circumference is identical, because the R4 tire would be 11L size (low profile). Also, in their handy online resources, it showed that the recommended rim size is 8"!! This is the same rim size as I have now!
    So, thank you all for your input and thoughts, it enouraged me to inquire! As soon as the Goodyear Ultra torques are worn more, I will be replacing them with the Michelins!

By the way, the booth was by MICHELIN (one rep. from Tirecraft), and I felt the guys really came through for me, despite the high volume of potential customers looking at the selection of products they brought with them. wesport

Thanks again guys! I will post pics of it when i change the tires, probably before the next SNOW SEASON!

-Mike tymusic :bluebounc :nod:

9. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Good to hear they got ya on track. A tire guy that really knows his crap is a gold mine of info!! Good luck!:D