1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire size question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tacovic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tacovic

tacovic Member

Would a 285/70/17 be too big/wide of a tire to run for plowing on my 07 OBS duramax? Also, would they have any fitment issues. I am getting a leveling kit installed for the added weight of my new 8.2 boss V.
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Is "fitment" really a word? Not sure of the tire question, but a leveling kit wont help with the weight of the plow, it will just make the truck ride level when the plows not on. If you need additional support in the front end, I would suggest Timbrens ( www.Timbren.com ). I wouldn't go with out them on IFS any more
  3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Might have to trim the front valence a bit to clear when your turning.
  4. tacovic

tacovic Member

Not quite sure if it is a word or not, just threw it out there. My question was if that size of tires would be too wide/tall for effectively plowing snow.
  5. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

yes it is a word. there are plenty of guys out there plowing with 285's.
  6. the05goat

the05goat Member

I have an 03 same body style, I put leveling kit in, and I'm clearing 315/70/17 with very minor trim on lower valance, to plow toy I disagree when you crank up the torsion keys you increase your spring rate (torsion bar is your spring) and reduce the amount of drop to the front end. However this does affect the ride cranked up the truck rides like an 80's p/u with leaf springs on all four corners. Timbrens are the right way to do it but this will work. You should be able to clear 285's with just cranking your stock keys.
  7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have done it both ways (although I didn't make any statement about torsion bars). It also changes your alignment angles when you crank up your bars. The added stress to your front suspension parts is also a factor when doing this. Also, I'm not sure of the 3/4 tons in 07, but I'm pretty sure the half tons didn't have torsion bars
  8. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

A lot of people get crazy with cranking, and disregard their CV angles. Keep an eye on the CV angles and keep them low, and get an alignment and it should be fine.
  9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have been plowing with 285s for years stock keys I would never waste my money on aftermarket keys. A few turns do not affect the alignment that much you wont notice anymore tire wear then you do now.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

dude i run 315 70 17 in the snow... loce em. they r old hummer h2 rims and tires btw they would boolt up to ur d max if its tall enough
  11. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

that's right.... go big or go home:laughing:
  12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You really don't want to go past 5 turns on your bars.All late model GM trucks--1500-3500's have IFS with torsion bars.
  13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

What year did they switch over to coil overs? I have one that I work on occasionally that always rides down hill, they wanted me to level it out by turning up the torsion bars and to my surprise, it didn't have any and it is 4wd. I did find a leveling kit (that would take care of their problem) but they (a government agency) didn't want to spend the money to do it.
  14. brad96z28

You must be talking about a new body style half ton.
  15. brad96z28

And why is that. There are lots of different spring rates bars on these trucks some take alot more tunrs then others. Ive done some 4 some 6 some even more If you have a long enough shock and ur angles are good what are you gona hurt? Some come from the factory in a major nose dive and could take 6 turns depending on the bars just to get them near level.
  16. BigJ

BigJ Junior Member
    from CO

I have an 07 new body style and put a level kit right away when it was new. Now 5 yrs later the ride is horrible because the stock shocks get pulled too far and go to hell. In hindsight I should have left it stock and went timbrens. Oh, I run 235 75 and my tires rub when the plow is up as i still bdont have timbrens.
  17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just being conservative that's all so as not to stress front end components and needing alignments more often.Only a true alignment mechanic knows FOR SURE what you really have done to your ride and after talking to a few,4-5 turns maximum,generally speaking,is considered OK.You want more--be my guest.
  18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When I got the Cognito leveling kit it came with 2" shock extenders replacements for the OEM 1" ones that came on the truck. They bolted right up to where the original ones were. Look around and you can get em I Believe for about $40 bucks separately.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

The "new body style" terminology has become vague...on some forums the latest style is "new new body style", as "new body style" has been in use for ten years to describe what used to be the new body style and changing that would make it difficult to search. Might I recommend using GM's series numbers? GMT800, GMT900, etc.

When I see 235/75 I think of the ultra-common 235/75-15 tires used on compact pickups. What rim diameter are you using?
  20. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

"Fitment" is a word but it is a noun meaning equipment or furnishings. Has nothing to do with size or proper fit. Good question plowtoy, I had to look it up out of curiosity.