1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire size on stock GM rims

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DrakeSabitch, Oct 13, 2012.

1. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

Did a search and couldnt find a definite answer. I currently have 265/75/16 on my stock GM rims. Does anyone have a solid answer as to if i will be able to fit 285s on these rims? The guy at the tire store told me you cant put 285s on these rims. Has anyone done this or have any more info as to if this is true or not? Thanks.

The pic is the stock GM rims i have.

20121013_181254.jpg

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I know that Goodyear gave me a hard time about switching tire sizes at all.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've put 315's on stock 6.5 wheels before. 285's will fit and wear just fine. They will bump out a little on the sidewalls b/c of the width, but that's it. I'd say 50% of the guys on this site running GM trucks have 285's or have.

4. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

what he said^^ you will more then likely have to turn the T-Bars a bit and trim the front valence a little. Watch when the plow is on though.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Have had 285s on for 4 years now love them.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I know a lot of people that run 285s on 16" GM rims and they fit just fine. I personally like 265s my self.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The stock rim on a 2500 is 6.5'' wide which takes 245's and on a 3500 it's 7'' wide which takes 265's factory.You can put bigger,wider tires on your 2500 rims physically,but the tire manufacturers/dealers will tell you otherwise for liability purposes.I know lots do it on the 6.5'' rims but I'd run at least a 7'' wide rim for 285's.

8. DrakeSabitch

ok thanks for the input guys. Ill probably just go with 265s again when i buy new tires this week.

9. osborneconst

osborneconst Junior Member

From what I have read on the truck forums, you won't have any problems on a steel wheel, but the aluminum ones are known to crack around the bead on 285's or larger

10. DrakeSabitch

tires update

ended up with the 265s.

11.jpg

11. DrakeSabitch

another pic

one more..

20121019_124729.jpg

12. durafish

from 02919

nice but whats with the center caps. Im lookin at those same tires but made by General tire same design just a older version and only about $180 per tire.

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep the generals have same design but wear out in about 20 k.

14. durafish

from 02919

I have heard that and i have heard that they they last the same amount. Its the same tire but when BF redesigned it they sold it to generals. Either way i replace tire every year so that's all they got to last me. i have the BF's now and they aren't going to get me through winter i put them on last thanksgiving.

15. DrakeSabitch

what about them? they are painted black.

i was going to go with the generals too, but heard about the bad tread wear. only paid 205 per tire for the BFGs, the other tire shops had em for like 220-230, so 205 compared to the 180 for the generals was good enough for me, either way still expensive though.

16. leftynetter23

leftynetter23 Junior Member

I was in the same boat as you , 285 vs 265. I too ended up going with the 265s. I got a good deal on e rated cooper at3's. I like them, so far so good. Can't wait to see how they handle once the snow flys.