1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Size ?? MPG's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Oct 24, 2013.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

My truck calls for stock 245/75/16..If i go with 265/75/16 will i gain a little MPG's with out losing to much gear ratio ?? I have 4.10's
    Are they much taller or wider ??
    I know a thinner tire cuts thru the snow better..

Any Pro's and Con's welcome...Or other ideas..
    Thanks

2. wva

wva Member

the 265 is taller you can go to the treadwright.com and they have measrements I believe

3. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

The 265/75/16 tires are going to be a little taller and wider then your current 245/75/16 tires. Generally, tires that are a little taller "can" give you a little better mileage at highway speeds. However, they "can" have the opposite effect when driving around town giving you worse mileage there.

Being that you have 4.10 gears, the taller tires might not have much of a negative effect around town.

NYH1.

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i put 265/75/16's on mine and noticed no difference in mileage

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

So there is no benefit to going with the 265's ??? What about driving in Snow or Plowing ?? What is worse in milage driving around town ?? Please Explain..
    Thanks..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They just look better. Performance difference will be minimal

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

mileage wise not really enough to worry about, the 265 is rated for more weight carrying capacity, traction wise if there is a difference i didn't notice it, if your really concerned about traction in the snow go with 235/85/16. i ran Courser msr tires in the 265/75/16 size 2 winters ago and they are awesome on snow and ice but don't run them in the summer as they will wear fast, last winter and currently i am running re caps in the BFG style tread and they also work well, these are 10 ply tires i am using with 70lb of air pressure in them. i am plowing with these tires as well just keep in mind i have 2k lbs of salt in the bed which also helps alot. i get 10mpg on mine at max unloaded around here which doesn't bother me as i bought it to work and it does. i did turn up my torsion bars 4 turns which helps with clearance and added 2 leaf springs on each side in the rear. i did these up grades to help the truck carry and handle its legal payload easier(not to intentially overload the truck as some might think).all in all the 265 isn't that big of a jump and in my opinion it's worth it. Good Luck and Be Safe out there