1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire size difference?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Timbercrk1, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

I have 265 75 16E on my f350 now. What negatives would there be if I ran 245 75 16's. E rating. Would there b any? Just loosing width of the tire?

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Not really any adverse affects. Your not losing and width of the tire as that number is the 75. What you would be losing is the diameter. What it will do, if you even notice, is make your truck feel more powerful. But I am a firm believer in the bigger tire the better for plowing. I plow with 37"x12.5" tires and never get stuck and have zero problems going through 2+ feet of snow. I would recommend staying with what you have or going a bit bigger, not smaller.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

37"s ??? thats gotta be a bitchin looking rig you gotta share some pics of that. :redbounce

4. shanta74

shanta74 Member

the 265 is the width in milimeters and the 75 is the aspect ratio witch is 75% of the width so the tire will be a little narrower and just a little bit smaller.

5. miracle

miracle Junior Member

I put 285 x 75 16 on my 99 super duty I am happy with it.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I run 235 85 16 in the Winter. Much better. No downfalls.

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree with Gicon. I've always thought the skinnier the tire the better it does in snow because the weight of the truck is not dispurced as much. I've seen guys that get stuck with mid size tires like 33s and 35s. I have no idea about the 37s, I bet they look cool no matter what!

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A 245/75/16 is what is on my truck for the winter. Better traction for plowing and when on the road the tires don't hydroplain or what ever you call it. I also agree with Gicon and FTO.

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I actually have a set of 245 85 16 BF Goodrich All Terrains that I used last winter only, and would sell them tomorrow and go get a set of 235 85 16's. The more ground pressure the better the traction.

10. shanta74

shanta74 Member

when i got my jeep yj they had 285/85r15's and got stuck twice and went out and bought some 235/75r15 cooper discoverers and never got stuck again.

11. DeereFarmer

Just because they look cool doesn't mean that they are the best for functionality. That is what my offroad buddies always tell me. I love watching the guys with the big Broncos with 13.5" wide Super Swampers get stuck and my buddies just pass them with their skinny "motorcycle" tires.

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

FTO.....Wheel Barrow Tires you mean ..... :cool:

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i believe the correct term is "pizza cutters" lol. but seriousally a skinnier tire is ususally better to a point my current tires are about 11.5" wide and i am really anxious to see how they perform in the snow. my buddy has a old blazer with 14" wide super swamper boggers and last winter i rode with him once on the roads right after a snowfall that was one hell of a scary ride. but when we got in some deeper stuff 2-3 feet they were awesome.

14. DeereFarmer

Haha... yeah, wheel barrow tires, pizza cutters, cookies, whatever you want to call them.

15. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I tried to find a set of 235 85 16's on ebay today, the BFG All Terrains....and I couldnt find them....:mad:

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have seen lots of guys out west running big tires in snow. Only thing I can think of is that snow is a lot drier out there. Fluffier now may be easier with big tires. I know it would really mess things up here with heavy wet snow and ice.

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Do they get snow out west?

18. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Bought Tires!

Bought BFG All terrains. 235 85 16E Love the tires had them on 3 other trucks. This is my first superduty though. Will see how they work they get put on thursday.:dizzy:

19. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I just got a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's 265/75/R16 Load range E. Can't wait to see how they perform in the snow...

20. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I have a set of Dunlop Rover RVXT tires on the Ford size 255/85/16. Load range D is the only downfall so far. Pushed snow like crazy, great traction, quite, nice on the road, very pleased. I like that it was a bit taller, but not any wider, with aggressive lugs and sipes.
    Just my .02
    Dan