1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Size Conversion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sndun, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Sndun

Sndun Member

I have a '98 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0, auto, with 30x9.5R15 tires on it now. I'm looking to purchase new winter tires but can't seem to get a straight answer on the sizing. I want to retain the 30" height and 15" rim size while trimming a little on the width. First, how much width reduction is recommended? Also, is there a way to cross reference sizes to "pick" the suitable one while also keeping load capacity in mind (it's also my daily driver to school)? I'm a little hesitant to state I recently purchased a new plow by the "s" name but compared to my last plow and vehicle, the Sno-Way is a heck of an upgrade for me so I'm actually proud of it. Thanks in advance.

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

30" diameter?

245/75-15 gets you close or
    215/85-15 is the same height but narrower.

The hard part is these sizes are rare.

3. Sndun

Sndun Member

Availability is what I was afraid of. The company I plan on purchasing them from does not have those sizes in winter tires. They recommended 205/75R15 and 225/70R15. From what I saw the tire heights are 27" and 27.5" respectively with the latter being a P-Metric tire. :confused:

4. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

If your dealer has 225/75 it would seem that he would have 235/75 And it would closer to 30" and be narrower than the 225/70. If your dealer doesn't have it, try another dealer. That is a very common size.

5. Kent Lawns

A 235 is narrower than a 225?

o...kay.

Actually it's 10mm wider or about 1/2". 235/75-15 is however a very common size and about 28.5" diameter or so.

6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Well it has been awhile since I actually measured a tire.:) Speaking in relative terms yes. A 235 is taller than a 225 and a 75 is narrower than a 70. So a 235/75 is taller, and narrower (in relation to height) than a 225/70

The actual width of the tread can also vary depending on the type of tread. Even on same size tires, a mud/snow will typically have a wider tread than an all season tire.

I hope you didn't have to make a special trip to the tire store to measure them.:) And hope you measured two tires of the same brand and model.

BTW, 10mm is about 3/8 inch rather than 1/2 inch. Unless of course you were rounding up to the nearest 1/2 inch. A 1/2 inch is about 13mm (12.7)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  7. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

The "P" designation is for passenger car. I'm pretty sure you get more load capacity with a light truck, or LT tire. Load rating "C" and up shouldn't be hard to find, but those sizes mentioned above might be. Call around to a few places in your area until you get satisfaction.

Marcus

8. Kent Lawns

No, I didn't measure them..lol

225 is 225mm wide
    235 is 235mm wide

~Not too tough to figure out.

70 or 75 is the percentage of height to width measured form the rim to the tread.

9. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Yeah, Kent's right...... 235 is wider than a 225. 70 or 75 or whatever is your aspect ratio. Multiply your width say, 235 by your aspect ratio 75% and that will be the height of your sidewall. So, to get back to the point, get your aspect ratio higher for a taller tire.

MT

10. captjack

captjack Member

30-950r15 = 29.5 tall / section width=9.7
    LT235/75r15 = 29 tall / section width=9.3

The width on the charts can be misleading.
    It is a measurement of the "section width" (bulge to bulge) on the sidewall.

A p-metric light truck tire will usually have a narrower tread and it will usually appear somewhat rounded.

A "LT" marked truck tire will usually have a wider tread area and a more squared off tread shoulder. This will make the tire look wider even when it's not.

I would recomend you go with the LT 235/75r 15.
    It's about the same tire as the 30-950r15 less $20.

I f you had 2 jeeps in a parking lot and 1 had 30/950r15 and 1 had the LT 235/75R15'S you would not be able to tell the difference with out looking at the sidewall.
    Good luck with your purchase,
    JACK

NOTE-Measurements are from Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires and may vary with different brands.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

<iframe src=http://www.readyforawebsite.com/plowsite/tirecalc.html width=100% height=470></iframe>

Last edited: Dec 3, 2001
  12. Sndun

Sndun Member

First, thanks to everyone who helped out with this.
    Davek, that "calculator" was very helpful.
    I ended up going with the 235/75R15 size. Found them for $381.50 mounted and balanced on new 15x7 rims and shipped to my door. If it ever snows, I'll find out if they were a good choice or not. Thanks again. :)

13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

You need to share where you got them from. That is a very good price considering new rims, mounting, balancing and shipping.

14. Sndun

Sndun Member

I ordered them from tirerack.com. I wasn't sure if I was able to say that so I left it out initially. I chose the Firestone WinterFire at $49 each. Hopefully it was a good choice but at that price I'll throw them in the trash and use my existing tires if they turn out to be that bad.