1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Siping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChucksChevyPages, Jan 11, 2000.

1. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Anyone run siped tires, or have you had yours siped? Siping is having narrow slits, about 5/16&quot; deep cut going across the tread. It greatly improves traction on wet surfaces. There are shops that perform the service. Some Michelin, and other brands of tires have sipes from the factory. The idea comes from boating shoes. Those deck shoes, with the white soles? Seems someone put slits across the soles of them, and they gained a lot of traction when the boat deck was wet. Guess you can't argue with science!<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Chuck,<br>We did that a few years ago and it did help somewhat. Now all our older trucks with 15&quot; wheels have the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-15. (Greatest plow tire ever made, I think) So it isn't necessary. We're still trying to figure out something close for the new trucks with the 16&quot; wheels.<p>I personally plow still plow in a '93 so I can have the Blizzak tires.