1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire siping

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tractorbill, Oct 26, 2011.

1. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

Do any of you guys ever sipe your own snow tires for better traction?
  2. scottplowman

scottplowman Junior Member

I do, I think it helps a lot. My dad was a field serviceman for Caterpillar in Spokane WA for 25 years. They siped the tires on all their service trucks, was a given. He went way up in the woods to logging sites, out all winter. Also I think he told me once tires last longer because they run cooler. Or maybe someone else. Or maybe I dreamed that.
  3. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I had some Goodyear Wrangler MT's, which were horrible on ice and hardpack, siped. They worked excellent after the siping.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Been running sipped tires for about 15yrs, not only do they grip better on all winter road conditions they also reduce tire noise and run cooler so the don't wear out as quick.
    The cool thing about sipping is you can make a marginal tire into a pretty decent one.
    Cost is about $15 per tire.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I cant find ANY one to sipe tires on the east cost
  6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Tires Plus did mine. Don't know if you have one near you, though.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Have you tried Town Fair Tire, I know they're all over New England.
    My brother in Ct has used them for 25+yrs and they sound like a pretty good outfit.
    I've been dealing with Discount Tire since the early 80's and they turned me on to siping.
  8. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

I can't find any place that does it either. I am going to buy a tool and do my own.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You can probably just use a utility knife to slice/sipe the lugs, the tools I've seen at the tire shops look like a handheld mini deli meat slicer.
  10. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Yeah, let me know how that works out for ya!!

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Not saying it would be fun but it is doable if you have the patients and time.
  12. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

what the hell is siping?Been around for a while and never heard of siping!
  13. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Im with this guy!

14. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

siping is small cuts that are made in the lugs of tires. It softens the rubber and makes it more pliable and runs cooler. checkout the high performance snow tires made today.
  15. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Sipes are the little cut lines you seein snow tires. Yourctires lose traction on ice because becausewhen pressureis applied to ice a thin layer of water forms, killing any friction you had. Sipes gives the water a place to go.
  16. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

siping is the way. I am with the other guys in the east very hard to find someone that has the tool. 20 years ago they were in a lot of service stations. Now the tire stores look at you like you have 2 head! "Cant do that here!"
  17. morecoffee

morecoffee Junior Member
    from Ohio

Tire siping is popular in the northwest but not in the northeast. At least that has been my experience.
  18. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

tire siping DIY

and yes you can sipe your own tires quick and simple..e bay or summit racing sells a Afco brand tire groover for like 59-69 dollars (aka hot knife) there come with 10 u-shaped cutting blades..all you do is put the blade in upside down..and you can sipe a tire in 5 minutes... quick and simple.. fix for a mudd terrain tire for snow-ice use...
  19. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Grave digging today

Ordered myself a siping tool, as I can't see buying new tires as mine are still in good shape, but handle terrible in snow and ice.

Looking forwards to "siping" my tires to see the differences. Has anyone else taken up the practice, other than what I can find on youboob ?
  20. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT