1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire shop?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Dec 17, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I have a set of used tires on 8 lug rims, and I need the tires on my 6 lugs taken off and replaced with the tires from the 8 lugs. I was going to have a freind do it at the shop he works for after hours, but hes real busy and I want this done ASAP. I talked to a service station owner who said Id be looking at about $100-$110 to have it done. Any idea of a place that would do it without charging me up the butt with fees like didnt buy the tires here, need new lugs, new stems, etc? What about like a Discount Tire?

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

check a couple tire shops i just did something like that and it wasonly like 50, ussuallyit costs about 10 bucks a tire

3. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Do it yourself with an old fashoined bumper jack and 2 tire irons. Don't forget to take out the valve core first:)

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

should run you about $50 at a tires plus or similar store. Thats what I was charged to have my old 285s mounted in june of 07. May be a little more now. What kind/size tires did you end up getting kev?

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I just got the exact same size, they are about 1/2 tread left, I cant afford to buy my real meats untill summer. Theses are just to get me through the winter.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

$50 bucks, I cant even get 4 tires balanced for under $60

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

mount/balence/valve steam and install on vehicle is 10-12 bucks range at most any shop in my area.

and at ours if only dismount its 1/2 that price.

8. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Dismount two sets of tires.

Mount and balance one set.

Disposal fees for one set.

Taxes

I'd say $100 is reasonable.

9. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I agree ..

10. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Where I bought my new tires, on the wall, they list $25 for mount and balance for 16 inch or bigger tires. So $100 aint bad, like stated before. You could always make friends with a small shop. Check some of your local tow shops too. They sometimes have the equipment needed.

11. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I think a hundred is reasonable. Thats what I would charge with them balanced, new weights and new valve stems. Its not only the labor your paying for , its the 8,000 in tire equipment that is the killer.

12. Kunker

Kunker Member

If you're really cheap, check out a local high school or college with a shop program...my old school had the equipment and would do the work for pretty much free as experience for the kids. Just a thought.

Last time I had a set of tires swapped, it was around $100. 8 dismounted and remounted with balancing (swapped new mud tires off old truck to brand new truck, and new ATs to old truck for resale).