1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire replacement on Chevy C5500 & Maintenance Recommended

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CK82, Oct 23, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I just purchased a 2003 Chevy C5500 (dump truck) with 46,500 miles, on the rear, it has one set of newer tires on the right side. The left side are considerably worn, and a completely different tire. I heard that running different tread sizes/depths can throw things off and wear on the differential and such? It definitely needs a new set on the left side. I'm not sure why they would only put on one new set? The tires are 225/70/R19.5's any idea how much each for snow snow tires? I also was wondering what I should be doing for maintenance. It has the 6.6 Duramax in it, the oil was just changed, I'm not sure about the transmission and differential fluids. How often should I be changin the oil on the Duramax, 10,000 miles? Any information would help!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

10K would be fine or if u use a full synthetic maybe more. im not a d-max man so i dont know everything about them. i know they are good engines. the trans wouldnt hurt to get a change at 50K the rear end is prob synthetic from the factory and usually rated for 100K (again not sure about a 5500) it wouldnt hurt to just do everything since its a new to u truck and then you have a good starting point for the maintenance from now on.

as far as tires i would run the same on each side of the axle. not all brands measure the same even for the same size.

3. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thanks TEX! I really do not want to put 4 new tires on the rear. That is going to cost quite a bit. The two newer tires have good tread, hopefully if I replaced the worn ones right away that would work? Why would someone only replace two of the four tires when it obviously needed all four new?

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

bc they are cheap

5. snowplower82

snowplower82 Junior Member

those are expensive tires! I put some on my 5500 and they were around 330 per tire sucks but I really think you should have them wear evenly :drinkup: