1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sdplowing, Jan 16, 2009.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

I bought a set of tires from Treadwright, had them mounted, then found out there was a hole in the sidewall. They sent me a new tire right away but I got to keep the damaged one. My question is, is there any way to repair a sidewall puncture? The hole is a little smaller than ice pick size. It would be nice to have a spare the same as the others.

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Go to a real tire shop not a franchised one and ask to have it vulcanized.Or run a tube
  3. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

I would go to a real tire shop and ask them DO NOT just put a tube in it and run it.
    a damaged side wall can make for a dangerous situation!

personally I would scrap it and be safe.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Only smart fix for sidewall puncture.

5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you cannot safely fix a sidewall. when i worked in the truck shop we would not fix sidewall or a thumb width in from the shoulder.
  6. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

There are two schools of thought on this one.
    1.You can fix it
    2.You can't fix it.
    Let me say this, I owned and operated a full service gas station for years and worked at Firestone and Goodyear.
    For demonstration purposes, the guy who sold us our tire repair supplies always drove a van that had no less than fifty plugs in his tire, with many being in the sidewall.
    Personally, for myself, I would have no problem plugging a small hole in a side wall on a tire that I personally would be running.
    However, I would never plug the sidewall on a tire that someone else would be driving, the possible lawsuit wouldn't be worth the risk.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

X2 About 4 years ago I had tires put on a truck drove home and heard a hissing, nail in sidewall on a tire with 20mi on it cost like $45 to fix