1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Winter Land Man, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

What do you recommend for tires for a 1986 GMC Sierra?

Uses include commercial plowing, landscaping, etc.

What brand do you recommend? Price for all four? (My truck needs a new set!, I want the best!)
  2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

you want the best? good year wrangler mt/r's . they're the best (but expensive)

I got em' on my 87' sierra
  3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I run Cooper M/S on my trucks allseason.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Narrow is better than Wide

For snow, you want an agressive thread, and tires that are capable of being studded (don't stud if you're going to keep on all year around). I find narrow tires are better than wide ones because they tend to cut through the snow better rather than "float" over it.

As for the MS, MT, LT, LTT, ST, STT. That don't really mean anything to me.
  5. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

You can't have it all. The "best snow tire" won't work in the summer. Anything else is a compromise. Blizzaks for snow and anything else for summer.

6. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

anyone got prices? thanks guys! :waving: :cool:
  7. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I've bought Blizzaks from www.tirerack.com
    They offer a tire and wheel and mounting package that I couldn't find here in MA.

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Nokian Tires

I have to say for snow, these guys can't be beet... They are the best winter tires I have ever used period. Blizacks wear out way to fast. I found out the guy who owns the biggest tire shop around here uses these on his family's vehicles. He told me they are unbeatable. He was right, my wifes front wheel drive S80 Turbo Volvo with traction control couldn't make it up driveway for years, with all types of tires. Now I can go up so fast you make the traction control even slip. It like having a new vehicle. Saved me thousands, because she wanted a new car, and she gets what she wants! lol

On my trucks I have run BFG 185's All Terrains. I know they are wide and not the best, But they look good! lol

Check out the cool videos of the test facility...
  9. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

does this mean my mud trrain wont work well ?

265/75/16 on a 3/4 Ford pick up
  10. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

I run 31X10.5X15 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO on my 87 Silverado. I love them. They bite the snow great. I paid $425.00 mounted and balanced for all four. I recommend them highly. Just my .02 cents... :waving:
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  11. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I gotta ask. If these tires are so wonderful why aren't they on your trucks?

That said the Blizzak will wear like a sob if you run it in the heat, it is a dedicated snow tire. Just to add a bit more. I believe that the Blizzak is one of only a couple of tires that has the snowflake emblem on the sidewall. Means ya don't have to chain up going over a few of the passes out west.

12. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

Well I have been doing some research and lately I have found the company called green diamond tire. It is a retreaded tire that has industrial grade diamonds embedded in the tire. as the tire wears more diamonds apperar. Apparently this product came from Iceland and it is also manufactured in New York. The prices are a little high but apparently they offer better traction.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

goodyear mt/r's i just got mine cant wate to see the results. :waving:
  14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had the Bridgestone Dueler A/T on my last few trucks they worked nicely in the snow.
  15. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I prefer Cooper Discoverer M/S for a dedicated snow tire or the Cooper Discoverer ATR for an all around good tire that I still can use in the snow if I want to.
  16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

BFD all terrain's are the cats azz. Last season was the 1st and would'nt but anything else. Half the time I plowed with 4 wd.
  17. mike48116

mike48116 Junior Member

BFG AT's

Tires out last the others
    Tires wear even
    Hard sidewals
    Very hard to puncture

You get what you pay for
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Roy... :dizzy: like I said..."I know they are wide and not the best, But they look good!"

If you must know my plan...I will run factory take off steel rims in the winter and use the factory 245 Brigstones for a few years then I will swich to the Nokian. I will run the 285 BFG A/Ts in the summer on the aluminum factory rims.
  19. danno

danno Senior Member

I switch back from summer and winter with tires. You want agressive tread ? Go with GOODYEAR WRANGLER AT/S. ( Has the "little snow flake" on the side).
  20. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Hey guys he asked for best year round tire. My opinion is BFG A/T whatever size you want. They last forever, have a good bite in the snow, and they aren't singing down the highway at 60mph. The M/T does nice, but they are so noisy on my truck I am going back to the A/T when these are worn out. I have tried Bridgestone, GoodYear, and went back to the BF Goodrich. Don't know about the Coopers.