1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire rating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dieseltroop, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Back in 2003 there was a post put up by Bolts Idus. expressing the fact that it's not a good idea to go over the manufacturers rating of the front axle. Specifically in reference to the insurance comp. seeing if you would be at fault for being over weight. Well I got some clarification from some CVI's (Commercial Vehicle Inspectors)that I work with occasionally. They don't go by the manufactures axle rating. They go by what your tire rating says on the sidewall. For instance, I looked at mine. I have Goodyear Wrangler AT/S', which the size is 265 70 R 16, Load Range E. I looked at the sidewall load rating of the tire and it is 3415 lbs. So with both tires on the front end the tire can hold 6830lbs of weight. and then to figure out if your going to be over with a specific plow, go weigh your truck and see what the front end is at. Like mine, it is at 4460lbs. so I have an available 2370lbs. to play with. Of course you don't want to go over the front axle rating really or by too much, but hopefully that helps you guys wondering about commercial laws, and what is focused on for being over weight. Also your total GVW is taken into factor also. Hope that helps any remaining questions out there, and that this makes sense with what I am explaining.

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The axle weight ratings from the truck manufacturer are related to spring carrying capacity and tire rating, not what the axle will carry. A Dana 44 is rated for about 5000 lbs and a Dana 60 is rated for about 8,000 lbs. Thats why a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton pickup with a D44 will have different load ratings with the same axle.