1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tire question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

do u guys thing a set of 33" x 12.50 x 16.5 bfg all terains on a set of aluminum rims for $450 is a good deal they have about 50% tread left thanks for the opinions
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The condition of the rims makes a big difference in price, but figure about $270 for the tires alone (retail cost/2 assuming they are all worn evenly). So that leaves $180 ($45 each) for the rims. So if the rims are in nice shape and the tires have no abnormal wear it sound decent to me.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For plowing snow - No.
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree with Mick. Those big wide tires dont plow snow as well as a smaller skinnier tire. When I was younger, I always thought a big wide set of like mudbog tires would work awesome for driving through the snow, and even snowplowing, but that isnt the case at all. The price seems decent if they are in decent shape like said above, but is the only reason you will be purchasing them for is to plow snow? If so, dont bother buying them. Mike :)
  5. Manx

Manx Senior Member

While I would Agree some what.
    Them tires aren't that wide and there a All Terrain tire that does work well in the snow and ice
    I have a set of 285's BFG T/A ko's that are 32.9 tall and 11.3 wide
    there great.
    Better then any 235's or 265's that I've driven in the snow
    Remember if your plowing, you not on snow but plowed pavement

A mud tire doesn't work well, but a reasonable width all terrain tire does work for me.

ROSELAWN Member

That is a decent deal on wheels and tires but that wide of a tire will float over snow= less traction.
  7. Scenic Lawnscape

i have 265/75/16 on the truck now should i go with a 265/85/16 to get a more narrow tire?? or any other sugestions its going on a 91 f-250
  8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

thats a iffy deal on the tires& rims, especially being ½ tread, you can buy 4 - 33x12.50/16.5 bfg's for the same price as that package. oh and whoever said wide tires is a mistake, I ran 12.50 wide all winter long and I liked the fact that with a wide footprint if you back over snow to push out a drive it dosent compress it to the pavement as bad and there is less hardpack.
  9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

First off there's no pavement around me and second off you need to get to the top of some of these driveways first so i guess i'll take my 235's any day over a wide tire.These damn people keep building higher and further back into the hills every year for their "privacy":dizzy:

BTW-I know what your saying but we all don't plow down at Walmart:D
  10. Scenic Lawnscape

big nate where can you find bfgs new for that price??