1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire question from first timer......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Before thinking seriously about plowing I bought some 285/75-16 Dunlop Mud Terrains. Yeah with the big blocks on them. I will have about 15 driveways to do this winter, am I hosed or what? Should I drop another 500 bucks even though these only have 2k miles on them?? Only doing residential is it really a big deal?

2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I would not recomment using the mud terrain. The tread looks good on a truck, but does not grip the snow as well. But having 15 driveways, lets say you average 30/ that is $450 for a storm. Do you want to work a whole storm and almost a half to pay for tires to do more work? I would make do. I just put on Coopers Discovery. my truck had 10k mile and I changed them but I do a ton of commercial lots and drives..all what you want to spend money on.

3. sam973

sam973 Member

I would just get a set of tire chains for $50-100.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Sipe em and run so balast and have some tow straps and a shovel(you should have em anyway) with you and you should be ok.

Or get a set of rims and run a set of winter tires and summer tires.

I have dunlop radial rover rt's and they do pretty good in the snow for a at tire.

5. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Put some BFG All Terrains on and call it good :D

6. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

I have a 01 super duty. Plow with Lt 285 mud kings not siped no chains nothing works just fine. This is in commercial parking lots and city streets. They will work just fine. :cool:

7. liberty plowing

liberty plowing Junior Member
    from 6

You should be ok I have used BF mud terrains they work well the dunlops should be ok. In the future look at BF Goodrich all terrains they are awesome in snow. The best tires I have eaver used in snow.

8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I run 305/70/16 Buckshot Maxis Mudders. I have not had any problems. I have run BFG All Terains before and they also worked great. I like the maxis mudders because they only cost me $575.00 a set & the BFG cost $915.00 a set. Like they said, all how you want to spend your money. :waving: BOAST

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the cost of the tool to sipe tires is cheap. Siping tires will make em last longer and the will do better on ice and hardpack. mostly it just costs you time. No reason not to do it IMO on a tire with mongo lugs.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have those tires but in 31.10.50.15 they lasted like 5 years im looking for a new set there good in rain snow mud i will either buy those or bfg's if there was a local cooper distributer around or mail order i would those the discovery sst

11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I bought Kelly MSR's for my blade pickup 4 years ago and still have them. They seem to provide great traction. When things are smooth and easy pushing I even slip the truck into 2wd to save on the front running gear. With the luck that I've had with these I'm sure I'll pick up another set when these wear out.