1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire psi

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DMR95, Dec 15, 2005.

1. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

What are you guys running for tire pressure? I've got bfgoodrich all-terrains load range D on a 1500 and i am running 50 psi for all 4 tires. Could that possibly be too hard?
  2. PlowRider

PlowRider Junior Member

I bought new tires and had a really stiff ride home ..on the way home I drove thru some water and noticed that I was not getting full contact of the tire tread :confused: So I get out and check my tire psi its of the scale I dropped it backed down to the recommended range 30 or 35 I don't remember for that pick up but it should be on the drivers side door sticker... Hope this helps
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

PSI for tires is based on the tire - not the sticker that was put on your inner door of your truck.

My all-terrain call for a max of 80psi. I usually run the front around 68 then back around 70. K3500 - Load rating E.
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If it was mine I'd probably run 40psi for winter and then drop down to 32-35 for the summer depending on your load.

For mine I run at 35 for the snows and 32 for the summer tires.
  5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

80psi year round
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I love this topic! I just put 6 new 10 plys on my truck, tire store asked me what I wanted for pressure, went 65 all around, they are 80 psi max. Then I talked with a guy who owns a tire store, asked him and he said "why would you want to run tires almost 20% underinflated?". But I'm not convinced it is underinflated if it is run empty most of the time. Although heavy trucks run full psi whether empty or not. Heck, I've got 600# of ballast plus my toolbox and with 65 psi only the centers looks like they are really touching, based on what they look like wet. Looks like they could use less air, not 15 lbs more. I used to fool with it all the time, pump it up for towing, drop it for commuting. Way too much hassle on a dually. I believe that you should go with the door sticker not the tire, because the tires are made for a broad range of vehicles of different weights and GVWRs. And all the tire says is what the max pressure should be regardless of what vehicle it's on or how it's loaded, not what is recommended. The door sticker tells you what the rec. pressure for that weight vehicle is for what size tire.
  7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I always average what the tire says and what the door sticker says.
  8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I use an old off roading trick to gauge my tires when i have all my gear loaded and the truck ready i drive it into the shop. i take some sidewalk chalk and mark all the tire in a section all the way across the tread then i drive forward and back a few times. then i check to see the wear in the chalk. I I adjust the tire pressure and redo this till the contact path is even. I only have to do this when i get new tires, and then i log it in the trucks maintenance. books. I also do this for unloaded also(summer use).
  9. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

run them at max

there rated maximum p.s.i. for towing the maximum weight.they roll easier at max so its better on gas and wear and tear.you can run tires that are 80 psi max at 60-65 but you have more resistance and less weight capacity. i pull an 8,000 lb.fifth wheel in the summer so i run 80 psi all summer.winter time i run 70 rear and 80 front.it rides like a truck but it is a 1 ton.just watch for uneven wear with less than 10 lbs. below the max rating especially on the front tires with a plow on.
  10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Come on, where are the tire experts?

well, I'm just worried that 4 rear tires carrying almost no weight at all most of the time will wear in the center like an overinflated tire. Again, the only number on a tires sidewall is the MAXIMUM psi the tire is rated for at it's load limit. So if it says max load 2700 lbs at 80 psi, I would think that you shouldn't go over 2700 lbs on that tire, and that tire must be at 80 psi to carry 2700 safely. But if you are carrying half that weight, now isn't that tire overinflated for the load?
  11. Swinn

Swinn Member

Tire rack has tire care tips and technical specs.

"Adjust your tire pressures as indicated on the vehicle tire placard or in the owner's manual. Check you inflation pressures at least once a month and before highway trips."
  12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If you bought the tire tha came with your truck then the door sticker would be correct. PSI is based on the tire that you are acutally running. Anyone remember the big deal with ford explorers and Firestone tires? Too light on pressure for a tire and the tire can come off the rim, too much it can explode.
  13. 4speed

4speed Member

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you bought the same tire as the stock and your running empty then follow the sticker found in the door jam.

so you got a different size and type of tire?
    All bets are off, you have to find the right PSI for you.
    Murphyslaw has a good suggestion, I use to use his method too and it works.
    When your loaded down with your plow and weight in the back, you will be inflating your load range D tires to there max 60 to 65 psi. I run my bfg's at around 55 to 65 depending on the load in the truck.

My BFG's load range D can carry 3305 lb at 65 PSI max.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  15. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

Okay thanks for the advice, I'll try the method you use too. Thanks to everyone else that replied to this too... I've been pretty busy and haven't got the chance to get on and look around lately. Merry Christmas everyone!
  16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have Kelly/Goodyear MSR 6 ply tires. Their max psi is 50...I usually run them at 45psi year round. I have no problems and they are great...great aggressive tread that really grips snow for plowing..JMO:nod: