1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire PSI for F-350 PSD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NPC2002, Nov 30, 2002.

1. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

What PSI should I have my tires on a 350 psd with a 8'2 v boss, and how much ballest in the rear should I start with?Thanks
    Come On Lake Effect
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

A buddy of mine works at a ford dealership and tells me that the reccomended pressure for the rear is almost 80 psi and the front should be around 50-60, does that sound right? course it depends on the load rating of the tires. As for ballast, ive always been told at least 700#, with a salter and all the salt ive not had a problem though
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Check the sidewall of the tire. Typical is about 65 psi, but it DOES vary. For instance, the tires on our Dodge 2500 can carry the maximum weight when inflated to 85 psi ! Read the tires, it's in very fine print on the sidewall. As far as ballast, maybe someone else here has the same truck and can help. All but one of our trucks have V boxes, so amount of ballast is not an issue for us.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I am pretty sure the Boss website has an interactive selector, to choose a plow for any truck. One of the last things they do after you have selected the plow and truck is to let you know the amount of ballast needed for that combo.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There's a sticker on your door jamb that lists tire size and recommended pressure. Keep in mind that they are targeting people who want a nice ride, not work trucks. I found that when I inflated to the maximum sidewall pressure, the truck rides stiffer, yet handles much better. In my life, a truck's a truck!
  6. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

check on the door or owners manual.sounds right to me i use to work for ford
  7. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Yeah right Pelican, a truck is just a truck. I've seen your trucks just alittle more than just trucks. LOL Now to answer the question we run aound 70 lbs on the fronts of our Chevys one a 3500 srw flat bed the other 3500 drw dump. The rears fluctuate from the mid 60's to 70 lbs depending on which truck has the v box on.

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

When I had the stock Steeltex's on I ran 70 lbs. front and rear in the winter with no problems. I have 55 lbs. in the BFG's I run now.

I have a similar plow(8.5 Western V) and the truck performs perfect with about 650 lbs. loaded right at the tailgate.

Also, an almost must upgrade is some Monroe Muscle's or Timbren's up front along with some adjustable shocks. I have Rancho 9000's and crank them up to "5" when the plow is on. You wouldn't believe the difference

9. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

dodge 2500

Load range E tires .....85 rear 65 front
  10. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

On my 02'350, we a running 80 #'s in the rear, and 75#'s in the front ( for the winter, less in the spring when we don't use the blade) we are running fisher 8'. I know this probably sounds high, but those stupid general tires wear real bad any less than that. Also, I don't use any weight. I have had no problems...
    Only my opinion.
  11. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

Thanks alot for the info! I tried the other night 75psi in the front and 80psi in the rear with 700lbs ballest, this combo works great. Thanks again,Andy:D
  12. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I run a 97 F-350 with 295/75/16 BFG A/T's, also a 03 F-350 getting set-up Thursday/Friday :) . In the winter I run 65# front and 80#rear. I do have a 460 gasser in this truck so I run less in the front, I have a V-box sander so that is the reason for the high pressure in the rear. If you have a V-10 or V-8 I would run around 60-70#, if you have a diesel go with 80# because then your carring a lot more motor. As far as weight, you could get away with 800 lbs, but more can't hurt either.