1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dinosaur, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler RT/S that I am currently running on my E350 diesel and this is the second set of these tires that have had a sidewall failure. Check out the pics.
    Now the van weights approx 7k empty, and pressure is usually kept about 50psi until I hook my big trailer (12k do) then I'll take them up to 80psi.
    I have these on an '88 suburban and used to have them on my Dodge 2500 until I changed them over to Mastercraft Couriers snows that I run year round (also take the truck into the fields so I like the extra traction).

My question is, has anybody else had the same problem and if so is there another E load rated (or better) tire that I should get so I won't have this problem again? They are the LT245/75R16, and it is my daily transportation, unless I'm pushing snow with the Dodge.
    Thanks
    Ray

P1092305.jpg

P1092306.jpg

P1092307.jpg

P1092308.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are those from the front?

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Tread pictures? They look old, and cracking. From what I can see of the tread they seem worn. Maybe they're just due. My 07 Chev is on it's 4th set of tires.

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

7000 pounds empty, probably 10,000 pounds full...and probably not evenly distributed.

I looked up a load-inflation chart. 245/75R16 at 50psi are only rated for 2200 pounds each, that'd be 8800 pounds perfectly distributed. At 70psi they're rated for 2765 pounds. At 80, 3042. I wouldn't run any less than the full 80 on that E350. You might get away with the minimum on your next set, but why try?

You could probably benefit from some larger tires. A 305/70R16 is rated for 2910 at 50psi, 3970 at 80psi. I don't know if a tire that large will stuff into your E350 stock, though.

5. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

Dieselss, this tire came off the right rear, but they are rotated every 5-7k miles. As for the tread mr markus, they do have some wear as they have about 30k miles. My original set of these I got almost 70k before the tread wore out but the sidewall was good. The last 2 sets after about 30k, the sidewalls looked like this and the first set Goodyear prorated them for replacement so I can't really complain. I do average 15k a year just on this vehicle.
    So even my tire dealer is under inflating the tires when they're installed. (job security I guess)

Nobody has a recommendation on another tire, so I should stay with the Wranglers, just inflated correctly?

Thanks for all the info, it's greatly appreciated!!

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I had a set of Nexen Roadian HT LT245/75R16E tires on an E250 that we retired and I put them on my pickup. They were quite good, although I don't think I got 70,000 miles out of them.

Right now I have a pair of Uniroyal Laredo HD/T LT245/75R16E tires on the rear of my pickup and I like them. Snow traction is great, traction in other conditions is normal. They do hum a little. I don't know how long they'll last. I bought them used and have only driven on them for 15,000 miles and haven't noticed any visible treadwear but I haven't measured.

Michelins in general are always a good bet, if you want to invest that kind of money. BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A are common OEM tires with long life.

7. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

that seem to be an issue of under inflation. I've seen ford rims(and others) get alot of corrosion in the inside bead of the rim, which leads to the tires losing air, and resulting in failures like you have there.

8. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

Most E350 won't handle more than a 265/75/R16E at 80psi. I run these in both my service vans and box trucks and never have sidewall issues all are bfgoodrich all terrains.