1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire pressure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossplower, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

What tire pressure do most people put in there tires , the recommended amount or less? I remember years ago people used to run less but someone told me that's not always better.
    Thanks Steve

2. Daryl

Daryl Junior Member

The Recommended amount.

3. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Same here , recommended amount

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Adjust your tire pressures according to what your doing with the truck.

If your truck is heavily loaded then max inflation is usually best to keep the max load rating of the tire.

If running unloaded,then drop the tire pressures down to manufacturers specs to help the tires wear evenly.

If the tires are wearing in the centre,then your tire pressure is too high.Outside edge wear indicates the tire pressure is too low.

In a typical 3/4 ton pickup,with 16" E-rated tires,and a plow on,I run 70-80 in the front,and 45-55 in the rear,if there is nothing in the back.The lower rear tire pressure helps with snow traction.If I have a salter in the rear,the rear tires will go to the max 80 PSI.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2003
  5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I run exactly what Wyldman runs through the winter, plus i run 600# of tube sand in the bed.

In the summer i drop the fronts to 60-65 and raise the rears to 70-80 depending on which trailer i'm pulling.

6. toalpi

toalpi Junior Member
    from CT

For those that want to better understand how much air they should be using, do a few searchs for; "service load and inflation tables light truck metric tires" or "tire load limits at various cold inflation pressures". Apparantly, in the owners manual for Dodge trucks there are pressures listed for light loads and for heavy loads. Now for some people the idea of changing tire pressures every other day or every week or once a month, probably is not realistic. There are alot of people who read half of what the tire says and think that is the pressure required. The two biggest reasons that duallys have a bad reputation in the snow is because they are usually way over inflated for the load and they have the wrong tread. BULGE IS A GOOD THING. Tony

7. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I run 60 psi all 4 tires most of the time. 8 foot blade, 720# ballast plus shovels and snowblower. I might be 5-10# low in the front with the blade on, but I don't travel on the highway more than 5 miles at a time, so I don't worry too much.

8. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i do as wyldman says also, with the weight of the diesel and the heavy v plow i run max presure's in the front and 70psi for the rear with the salter loaded.
    the other thing i do every 5000 miles is rotate the tires.
    dan

9. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Thanks for everyones response
    Steve

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've always kept the tire pressure based on what the sticker on the door says - 30lb front and 35 lb back. Has always been fine in that I've never had wear problems, etc.

I have Goodyear Wrangler RT/S P265/70R16 - load rating of E.

I just had a new set put on last week; the Goodyear guy put 35lb in both fronts and rears.

This'll be the first year that I have a plow on this - about 600lb total weight added to the front.

I see in this thread and others that you increase the pressure to 60lbs-70lbs or so.

Would that apply to my tires?

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something, as I would be almost doubling the current pressure. I'm picturing myself filling up the tire and having it explode on me! I've always been under the impression that radials were supposed to have a little bulge and that if they didn't, then they would wear abnormally.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Read the sidewall to get the max load and max pressure information.With the plow on,you'll want the front tires at their max pressure,or at least 55 on that truck,depending on the tire you have.I find it funny they would put a load range E tire on that truck.Even though you only add a 600 lb plow,it's actaully a lot more than that due to the leverage effect.

12. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Chris;

Thanks for the reply.

It's odd (to me, at least) why Ford would only recommend 30 lbs when they can safely go much higher than that without being deemed over inflated.

I'm making the assumption that it's a Load E rating based on some other thread here that said that tires of this size had that rating; I'll have to check them tonight.

I had Wrangler RT/S tires before this new set; I got the prior set for free under the Ford/Firestone recall from a few years ago. The Wranglers have worked well, which is why I went with those again. They were also on sale, which helps.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Take a look on the tires you have,and then double check the correct size/load ratings on the drivers door jamb.You'll probably find they originally speced a P series (P265/75R16),or passenger car tire on the truck for ride quality.A lot of places just replace them with the more common LT tires(LT265/75R16).

The passenger car type tires aren't rated for higher loads/pressures.

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

That makes sense - "P" versus "LT" - didn't realize there was a difference - thought it was just a marketing type thing.

I just looked at my invoice - I have P265/70R17's, so they
    probably are not the "E" rating.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just double check the max PSI on the sidewall.It's probably only 35-45 on a P series tire.Either way,run them as max when carrying the plow.

16. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i put the reccomended pressure or a tad above, afterall there is a lot of weight from the plow and ballast.