1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire pressure

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by apik1, Feb 23, 2009.

1. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Do you guys run you tires at max pressure (80, 44) whay ever it maybe. Not just plow trucks but the wifes, what ever.
  2. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Taken from my other post-

What are your tires inflated to? Don't inflate them to the max tire pressure stated on the sidewalls unless you're running maximum loads all the time.

Typical random example- sidewall says 3,020 lbs at 65 psi. Unless you're running 6,040 lbs on each axle (3,020 x 2 tires), there's no reason to have the tires at 65 psi and you'll end up with a stiff ride. I usually run my load range E tires at about 45 psi and they ride fine. Figure out what each axle sees for a load, divide it by two and take that number and divide it by the sidewall weight rating. Take that number and multiply it by the sidewall max psi.

Axle sees 4,000 lbs typical usage.
    4,000 divided by 2 (2 tires per axle) is 2,000.
    2,000 divided by 3,020 lbs sidewall rating = .66
    .66 x 65 psi sidewall rating = 43 psi for normal daily usage.
  3. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

last post sounds reasonable for work related tires. most tires should be inflated to what the sticker on the door post from the manufacturer suggests unless the tires are not the original equipment ( eg truck came with p-rated tires, owner now has lt tires installed)
  4. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

If the truck's weight has changed from stock (adding a plow to the front, spreader on the rear, etc) the door sticker PSI no longer applies.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Higher tire pressure will give you better gas mileage. Will wear out the center of the tire, Give you a rougher ride.

Lower pressure will give you a smother ride, cause the tire to build up heat and fail (remember the ford explorer) fold under when cornering, provide better flotation (unless its raining then its called hydroplaning) reduce your gas mileage.
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I run mine at 50 psi, they are rated for a max of 65 (8 ply tires). When I ran them at 65 the center of the tire was wearing much faster then the edges.
  7. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I run the work trucks at max pressure.
  8. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

my rears are at max 80 and my fronts are at 62 except for in the winter when i have my blade hanging on the front then i bump it up to 80 for the fronts as well
  9. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Colder temperature regionstymusic require tires in the winter to be inflated to the max. pressure allowed. By November we make sure tire pressure is up to specs. Cuz as the temperatures drop during the winter the tire pressure drops.:nod: In the summer if your hauling. It dont hurt to have pressure 10 lbs below recommendations as pressure in tire will increase with heat/road friction over the haul.:salute:
  10. peterng

peterng Senior Member

thank you dustball and plowmeister for intelligent responses.
  11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

In my wife's Yukon I run 36 psi all year. The tires have about 30,000 miles on them, look great and wear even. My truck I run 36 in the summer and 40 in the winter.
  12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

don't forget to rotate and ballance the tires often, like every 2 oil changes (5-6k miles) your tires will last SOOO much longer.

Proper air inflation and religous rotation/ballancing will make your tires happy and they will serve you for along time, giving there are not any alinment issues or you drive all crazy..

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

mine are pumped to 75-80 all the time
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The best thing to do is weigh each axle of the truck. Free/cheap at the transfer station or scrap yard. Use those numbers and contact your tire manufacturer for the proper inflation pressure. You will be surprised how low they should be.

I ran LT245/75/16 on my 97K2500. During the spring/summer/fall I would run the fronts at 40-45, rears at 35-40.

Truck rode and handled excellent, tires wore evenly.
    Air up to 60 front / 80 rear for plowing season.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I always play with my pressures with new tires. I want to find the best combination of ride, traction and wear-ability.

I always run higher pressures when loaded then empty. On the 2500 2005 rag cab ram w/ revo2s I have now I run 62/58 empty 62/78-80 towing 78-80/78-80 carrying plow and spreader. I cannot keep the empty truck with 80lbs in the tires steady on the road, if there is a bump in the corner they just chatter and the ride sucks.

I have a gasser if it was a diesel I would probably run more front pressure when empty.

I agree rotate regularly I do it with every oil change.