1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by raptorman03, Nov 10, 2004.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

How much pressure are you guys runing in your front tires while the plow is on?

2. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

50 psi is what we run on or off

3. raptorman03

its the max pressure like 35?

4. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

i run all 3/4 tons and my ford calls for 80

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I run my fronts at 70psi with the plow on.
    35psi is a car tire. :rolleyes:

6. raptorman03

ok i checked my frount tire pressure and its 33 pounds what should i run in them they are 265s

7. The Boss

ONLY 33?! :eek:
    It should say on the tire what you should run. I'm guessing 55-60psi.

8. raptorman03

crap ok now i have to get dressed and go out side and look to see how much it says to run brb

Ok its says max psi 44 so im going to have to add some air :nod:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

check in the glov box, it may tell you there or posability on the door post. if not it is in the operators manual. The side of the tire says what the tire is rated for not what is recomended for your truck.

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

my door sticker says 65 front and 80 rear. so thats what i do.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If your in danger of overloading your FRONT axle (and most of us here are), you'd be best to inflate an E rated tire to at least 90% of it's max inflation.

If your in danger of overloading your REAR axle (and most with salt spreaders do) you'd be best to inflate an E rated tire to 80 psi.

Those with lesser than E rated tires, I'd say you'd better have the MAX pressure in the tire, as you may be over the weight capacity of the tires. That's not good.

A regular cab gasser with a heavy plow will take it's FAWR close to 4400 lbs.

A Crew Cab Diesel with a heavy plow will take it's FAWR over the 5000 lb mark.

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Forget what the owners manual says, it is for the tires that came on the truck. If you have different tires you may be way over inflating or way under.

Real easy, if you are going to load your vehicle(plow ect) then put the max pressure the tire has listed on its side wall.

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Shouldn't you set the pressure when the truck is loaded?? Like with the plow and ballest in place. (fyi...I usually run mine at a little below max)

14. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

5000 lbs in the bed of my 01 did not change the psi of my rear tires. Checked with a digital gage that reads 1/10...... :) :)

15. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I don't believe that would make a difference, the tires give enough that the pressure stays close the same. You could adjust it depending on whether you will be running loaded or not for comfort and handling. Check your tires and decals as mentioned and work within that range.

16. The Boss

I just checked all mine today and put 65psi. in each one. My digital gauge is accurate to 1/10 of psi.

17. raptorman03

my max psi is 45 i put them to about 42 and i feels much better now purplebou

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

As written on the tire sidewall of the tire?
    Why not put them up to 45?

What are the size numbers and weight capacity that are written on the sidewall of the tire?

And what truck is this on, and what plow?

19. raptorman03

The truck is a 1992 chevy half ton, tires are 265 75 16, the plow is a 7.5 hiniker steel blade.

20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I run my tires at the maximum rated pressure. The truck will never ride like a Cadillac even with soft tires.

Current LT255/85R16's run 65psi, the original LT235/85R16's were 85psi...

You guys act like its hard to let air out in the spring when the plow comes off! Put them up to the max rated pressure and you don't need to worry! Also remember that when temperatures get lower the pressure in your tires will drop slightly too, so when its bitter cold and you are out plowing the pressure will be a few pounds lower than it is today. Basic physics class. Then if you want comfort for the rest of the year, lower it in the spring again.