1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tire pressure thread #152

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bribrius, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

so after last years threads on tires and pressures on this site (i had readjusted my pressure three times and ran over paper to check the tread touching ground over it) i completley tossed out whatever notion i thought i had a couple days ago.
    went to have my tires rotated. bf good rich load e range max 80 psi.
    guys asked me why i was running fifty lbs in them. it was actually higher when the truck was loaded for plowing last season but i didnt tell him that of course. he told me i shouldnt run them over fourty lbs. i said..... but.... with weight in back, plow on front....

he replied that eight or nine hundred lbs is no different than four men in a minivan. not much.
    run the tires at fourty. fourty five in back if i go much over eight hundred payload.
    said they were ten ply tires (i thought they were eight) and told me running ten ply tires on a half ton with fifty lbs of pressure was needless and also not good for the truck or tire.

so toss out last years thread.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Was this a guy that changes tires for a living that told you this? Just because he works at changing tires does not mean he knows what he's talking about. The guy that runs the store and knows the product will be the guy to talk to. The sticker on the drivers door will tell you the pressures to run. I would think even if you went up a few load ranges they would be close to the same. Fill the tires unloaded and be done with it. If all else fails go to the tire manufacturer's site and see what it says.

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Open the driver's door and fil your tires to the recommended pressure for each axle. I keep my fronts at 50psi and the rears at 80...its what Chevy recommends for my truck. The ride is fine and after about 15 months like that my wear is even.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

normally i would go with what is in the drivers door, assuming that your tires can handle the PSI that it calls for

i figure that the truck MANUF, probablly spent just a little more time and money figuring it out than me, or the guy at the tire store

5. On a 2500 w/the original tires the pressure should be 65psi frt and 65psi rear those trucks originally came with e rated tires. E rated tires on a 1500 is major overkill with or without a plow. But, bigger is better in my book. 45-50psi frt and rear is good unloaded on an E tire. 65psi frt and rear is just fine loaded. Next time you buy tires go with C or D on your 1/2 ton, you will save money and still have more than enough load range to do the job.

6. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

I have been selling tires for over 35 years now and I think the guy at the tire store gave you good advice. That's plenty of pressure to hold up a half ton, especially with the tires you have on it now.

7. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

i have 10ply load range E and 40psi on my dakota they work great.......no flat tires. but on a 3/4ton trucks and higher all you need to know is 80psi if you use it to work of not just look inside the driver door

8. bribrius

its actually a alignment shop that sells tires.

sticking with the fourty for now. when i load it down this winter i will go to the fourty five and see how it is. re hash some of this.

i like heavy tires in case i run over things. nails, landscaping timbers, beer bottles. lol

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not that you care what I say, but I'd find a new alignment shop.

This guy is an idiot. But hey, if you want to follow his advice, go right ahead. Lord knows you don't listen to anyone else.

10. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

on my 265/ E rated i run 60psi frt and rear. only with the plow on

11. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Open the drivers door, there you will find want the proper air pressure for your vehicle is. Vehicle manufacturers have engineers to determine what the proper pressure should be.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have two choices.
    one is light load.
    60psi front- 45psi rear

heavy load
    60psi front- 70psi rear

but that only relates to the tire size that is referenced on the same sticker.
    If you get smaller or bigger tires those psi #'s are no longer are valid.

13. bribrius

one question . did you go out and read your sticker before you posted that or did you already know it?

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I knew the low #'s but I had to run out in my pink bunny slippers and get the high #'s.
    It's new:blush2:i'm still learning;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008