1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Camden, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I just got a new Dodge truck and the TPMS light is on. I read the owners manual and it simply says I have a low tire :rolleyes: I checked the air in all 4 and each one was at 55psi.

I read on a Dodge discussion site that the light will come on whenever the air pressure is 25% less than the max pressure for the tire which in this case is 80psi.

I bumped the pressure up to 65 on all four and the light is still on. Do I need to have a scanner clear the light or should it go off on it's own?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Should of bought a Ford!

If your tries need 80 psi why are you only at 55psi?
    I think the light comes on more like 3%

3. mjsmith70

mjsmith70 Junior Member

It should have went off immediately after you filled the tires. something is wrong. whenever mine has come on I check and fill all the tires and the next time I start it the thing goes off.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

In my vette you can watch the PSI go up on the gauge when you put air in and the light goes off.

5. RoguePrince

RoguePrince Junior Member

i had a similar problem with my Avalanche last year. went to the dealership, and it ended up being a faulty TPMS in one of the tires.

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I hate those things. Just one more idiot light that make you visit the dealer.

7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Hey Roy,

I'm not sure if you like or need the TPMS sensor/system. After my wife was stranded in Rice last month when filler her tire and the TPMS sensor valves stem sheered off and rapidly deflated her tire. We switched all her tires to standard valve stems. Cost was 20 dollars including the dissabling of the TPMS system. If you don't need or like the system, you might consider disabling the system entirely and switching back to standard stems.

Mike

8. snow chief

snow chief Junior Member

tire senser light

I had the same problem w/my 08 ram, turn the ignition on but do not start it, pump the gas 3-times and then hold the brake down for about 5 sec. this should work.

9. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i just put a new to me set of rims on my 08 ram 1500 which do not have the TPMS on them and after a week or so the light finally came on will pumping the gas then holding the break clear my light to?

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

His tires don't need 80 PSI unless he's..........

Nevermind....

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I never tried that trick so I don't know for sure. What got my light to go off was inflating the tires to 60psi in the front and 70 in the rear.

Inside the driver's side door there is a sticker that says what the tires should be inflated to. Follow that guide and see if the light goes out.

12. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

so that should work even if my new wheels do not have the TPMS on them ?