1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Marks On Sealed Driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Hey guys, So I have this sealed concrete driveway that's super slippery so I'll occasionally spin the tires on it. Now that the snows all gone there a small patches of tire marks all over the place. Gasoline or anything like that will ruin the finish but I tried just soap and water and it didn't seem to do anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Nick

2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe a pressure washer with hot water or steam cleaner. Either way you might remover some of the sealer.

3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

This happened on my driveway the last few heavy winters. Pushing up banks and large snows if you spin the tires will actually scrape off some of the sealer which is what happened in my driveway. Not sure if you had more of skid marks or burnouts or like me scrapes down to the old pavement top.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

The fun of doing snow. Put some pics up. You may have to put sealer over the areas. Did you just leave marks, or remove the sealer?

5. NickSnow&Mow

Ill try and get some pics. I don't think I removed the sealer. Just black spots.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you displaced the sealer...happens with cheap stuff

7. Randall Ave

If the customer is complaining. Seal coat the drive way and be done with it. Next season, put a clause in your contracts for this happening, or pass on this customer.

8. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

He said concrete driveway. What will adding sealer over it do its clear

9. Randall Ave

Read his post first sentence. Sealed concrete driveway. I've never seen a sealed concrete driveway before. Around here, it's asphalt or pavers.

10. Randall Ave

Kinda why asked for pictures. Hey I'm always willing to learn something new. If he's blowing the drives, how is he spinning the tires that much?

11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Nick I would think a power washer will remove the rubber however a reseal mite be required, problem you mite run into is resealing that specific spot mite stand out?? And some sealers don't agree with others?? Worst case you will need to strip the entire driveway and reseal everything!! That will be a costly mistake unfortunately.. I would think twice about doing any drives in the future with any stamped/exposed agg or sealed surface. Plain white concrete no problem... tough call either way? Goodluck!!!

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

This is possible, but I would like to see some good pictures of the driveway and tire marks first.

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Sealed concrete, We only seal concrete driveways when poured and finished for slow cure, Why is it so slippery does not have a broom finish? You need to put up a pic. It could of had a epoxy cover etc.

15. NickSnow&Mow

Thank you I think that's the plan. Use some degreaser and hope it doesn't take the finish off. If it does then I'll redo those spots with the finish. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to whip out the Honda and redo the whole thing. Maybe "sealer" is the wrong word for it. It's a fancy coloured concrete drive with a very slippery shines clear coat over it. Thought it was called a sealer.

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Oh boy....better post pics.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It most likely is a sealer, especially now that you mention its colored/decorative concrete. Even more caution should be used, now that you mentioned this.....but I still say start with simple green/water/push broom. Go light with the scrubbing of the push broom.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Good info here.

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Curing agents are for curing concrete, not sealer. Maybe your mistaken that you've used a product thats a "cure & seal". And a driveway with a light broom finish and a couple coats of a topical decorative sealer can become very slick

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

At least with the simple green, hes not out any big money. $6 or $7 bottle goes a long way....besides, he may find he likes having it around the shop for various things. I know its a regular fixture in our shop and job trailers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.