1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire load ratings and construction

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GreatPlains, Dec 9, 2004.

1. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

I am about to buy a new set of tires for my Yukon XL 3/4T. Factory specs indicate a load range E tire (LT245/75R16). My understanding is that the load range E is a 10 ply and rated about 3,050 lbs at 80 psi.

Besides plowing I also haul a heavy travel trailer at times (about 8,000 lbs) and have the heavy duty tow package.

As I look at different tires and consider going to a little wider design (LT265) I see that many tires are rated as a load range D tire but can still carry 3,000 lbs at 65psi. I assume these are an 8 ply tire.

My question - is the D rating at 3,000 lbs sufficient or should I stay with a tire that is E rated due to construction and psi rating?

I was considering the BF Goodrich All-terrain A/T but they don't have the E rating in the LT265/75R16. Bridgestone Dueler A/T does have the E and I am leaning that way.

Charlie

2. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Regarding your question, I had the same situation on our 2003 Dodge Ram/Cummins, and I went ahead with the 3000 lb 8 ply tire and had no problems.
    This ply rating is an old cotton count rating they used years back which is not 100% accurate anymore.

On the sidewall of the tire, it will state the acutal ratings.
    Example: LT 245 75 16E Cooper M+S
    Tread: 2 ply poly + 2 Ply Steel
    Sidewall: 2 ply poly

This means that this is a 4 ply tread tire with a 2 ply sidewall, even though, it is a 10 ply rated (E) tire.

Some of the heavier duty tires will have a Tead: 2 ply poly + 2 ply Steel + 2 ply Nylon. Now this would be a 6 ply tread tire. I know that Goodyear makes these and call them severe service tires which are uses by folks who drive county gravel roads daily out here.

Hope this helps you out.

3. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

Thanks.

I made the decsion to go ahead and get the standard 245/75R16 E Bridgestone Duuler A/T Revo tires. The narrower tire will probably do better in snow any way and I won't have to worry about the load rating.

Charlie