1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire inflation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jan 25, 2005.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

How much air are you running in your tires? I have a '02 2500HD with stock tires (Firestones, I believe) which are rated for 80 PSI max cold. What would you run those at?

Joel B.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you can almost answer your own question- how much weight are you putting on them? What weight are they rated for at 80PSI?

I have my BFG's at 60 rear (with almost 1K lbs in the back) only because they local gas station compressor wouldn't get them any higher (should be 80 but tread pattern is fine so I may leave them) fronts are at 70-75 for the same reason as above- should be at 80 but again tread pattern is ok but I will air them up as soon as MY air compressor warms up enough to run.

Look at the pattern the tread makes in the snow to deturmine the proper pressure- you want a flat even pattern- same pressure rules apply with the extra weight of a plow as to a passanger car. Too little pressure and the sidewalls rub- center tread is weak imprinted. too much cna the side lugs won't bite as well.
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

in the winter when I am running a blade and ballast i run the max inflation listed on the sidewall of the tire. In the summer I air down a bit for a better ride since i dont carry much weight.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

80 psi on my 235 85 16 load range E
  5. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We run 60 in front and 50 in rear on all trucks.
  6. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I run 60/60 with 235/85/16's BF all terrains

7. amar

amar Member

Max psi rating on BFG AT KO is 65 psi.

You guys running 80 psi are asking for trouble.

In my 01 and 02 HDs I have 65 psi front and rear.
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm not running ATs I have BFG Commercial Traction T/A- load range E =80PSI
    Dodge specs load range E tires for the diesels
  9. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I drive a 2000 F250 diesel and always run The manufactures recc's (80/60) But sometimes softer on the front end. Depending on conditions.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  10. Raw Fingers

Raw Fingers Junior Member

Tire pressure

What if you have a full load of salt 3-4 yards, and it calls for 80 psi. Do i take it down?
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Running tires under inflated can cause major problems like broken belts. I run the tires max rated pressure on all trucks. I also carry my spare overinflated by 10 psi.... When changing a flat it's easier to let air out of a tire, than try to put air in.....

Oh yea, my BFGR All-Terrain TAs are load range E and require 80 psi......
  12. danno

danno Senior Member

You guys running max. inflation can do more harm than good. You only max out the inflation when your tire carries the max load, which for a 235/85/16 is 3000lbs. 80 PSI is the MAX.the tire is CAPABLE of holding WITH THAT WEIGHT !
  13. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Not just "Max" load but even partial load... And my trucks go out with 1000lbs ballast plus 1500 to 2500lbs of salt.

I don't have problems with tires de-laminating(blowing out) since I started keeping tires fully inflated.....