1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by westernf250, Feb 1, 2010.

1. westernf250

westernf250 Junior Member

I am new to plowing and i have a 1999 ford F-250 Superduty V10 with a western mvp plus 8.5. I curently have firestone steeltex ats on the truck and they are starting to wear out i was just wondering if anyone had any advice for a kind of tire that would be good in the winter for plowing and also for everyday use for the rest of the year. i need something all terain because i sometimes need to go off road for work in the summer. and i also do some toweing with my truck and thats not always on pavement either. im just looking for some advice on a few types of tires that would work for me.

2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

BF All Terain. IMO the best all purpose tire!

3. westernf250

Thanks i have been considering those but i have heard some bad things about them. have you used them at all?. i still have to do some checking on prices be for i decide because i think the BFGs might be kinda expensive.

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Little over $1000.00 for all four installed. At least here! I do run those on my GMC and love them. My Ford has also has BFGs but not A/T (forget what kind)! Good luck

5. westernf250

Thanks i will have to do some checking around on prices

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't care what anyone else says, you want round tubeless pneumatic tires. :laughing:

I am running brand new BFG ATs right now. Not impressed, compared to Mastercraft MSRs. The MSRs are dedicated snow tires.

I would go with Michelin LTX before BFGs at this point.

7. westernf250

Thanks i don't no much about misilan tires i never really considered them. like i said im running the steeltex at and i really like them for plowing but they are wearing out but they are a discontinued tire and the transforce at that replaces them doesn't seam to be very good in the snow at all. i have also herd some bad things about the bfgs but i was considering getting a set of wildcat radial At's im not sure if anyone has herd of them but they sell them at fleet farm around hear and they seam like a fairly aggressive tire. i was also looking at cooper tires if anyone has any advice about these brand please let me know thanks.

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Goodyear Duratracs

9. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

2nd that....bought 2 sets this yr and have worked very well....

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Good Year Duratracs X 3, I put a set of BFG AT's on my 08 F-350 when I first got the truck and 21,000 miles later they where about down to the wear bar.

11. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I have BFG AT on my F250. They are actually a load range D. And they are oversized at 285 75 16. I had the stock tires from delivery. Now I am on my second or maybe 3rd set of BFG's. I have over 200,000 miles on my truck. So that is over 50,000 miles a set. Towed a few trailers, but not everyday use. I do not plow or salt with this truck, but have driven in the snow a few times and thought the truck handled well. They now have the BFG in the stock size with a load range E.

On one of the work F350's I put on the Michelin LTX's last year. There was 90,000 miles on that truck, now it has 130,000 miles + and there is alot of wear left on the tires. I put 1.5 to 2 tons of salt in a spreader during storms and have a 9' diamond hanging off the front, and the truck handles well. These are stock 235 75 16 load range E tires.

12. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Michelin's are a great tire too. My research left me with 2 choices.....the GY Duratracs or the Michelin LTX M/S. I like the tread better on the Duratracs and they are getting real good reviews...reviews as good as what Michelin's get. Check tirerack.com, a lot of info and reviews on there.

13. westernf250

thanks i will have to do some more checking on prices because i am on a budget. this year hasn't been very good around hear for plowing we only got one good storm and other then that we have been getting an inch or two hear and their. i was hoping to make enough to get new tires but i don't know if that's going to happen but i hope so. hopefully we get more snow within the next two months.

14. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

im running the dueler a/t revos....really good tire for plowing ...

15. westernf250

Thanks im considering allot of brands but like i said im on a budget and im looking for information form people who have more experience in snow plowing then i do. Because i have only been doing it for about two years and the other truck i had before my F-250 was and F-150 with a 7ft straight blade and i had BFG rugged trail which were good tires also but im not sure that i would put them on this truck. but im also looking for some advice on cooper tires and if anyone has herd of them wildcat radial ats. and thanks for all the info i have gotten so fair.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Basically you want to stay with a mild tread pattern, with plenty of siping. Unfortunately, most All Season/All Terrain tires really lose their bite after one season :(

17. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I run Nitto Grapplers on my 05 f350 v10 and love them both on and off road

18. Evan1968

Evan1968 Junior Member

Goodyear Dura Tracs are the way to go. Had the BF Goodrich on my 07 and when i got the 09 had the Goodyears put on. I like the looks and the aggresive tread patern. The Goodyears were cheaper. No road noise. The guy that put them on told me if i get stuck with these , i shouldnt have been there in the first place.

Good Year Dura Trac.jpg

19. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Evan, how many miles do you have on those?

20. Evan1968

Evan1968 Junior Member

22k. There on a 09 F-350, 295-65-18