1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire falls off!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Derek83, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

:realmad::confused:About four months ago my front passanger tire fell off, it looked like the lug nuts just came loose. After that happened I took the aluminium rims off and put steel wheels on. problem solved right? WRONG! Just the other night when I was out plowing it happened again with the steel wheels, and it was the same tire and yes I did tourqe the lug nuts after I mounted the tires, and after a 100 miles at my local tire shop. So I don't know what is causing it. I wonder if it could be a bad hub or somthing in the axel, and the ujoints on that side seem to be alright, and none of the other tires have came loose.:realmad::confused:

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I think someone maybe loosening them? Check them very often. Or do u have the correct style lug nuts for the wheels u are using?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Are they after markets?

4. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

what about some lock tight?

5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

sounds like an ex girlfriend or her new boyfriend

6. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

good idea lol

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Is there alot of rust on either the back of the wheel or the mounting surface on the hub?

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

what year truck?

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

One question did you use antisezuire lubration on that stud? Have happened me before because use too much would make lug not hold stud good and stud will stretch.

Have you got fight with someone or neighbor? They would do that. Like my neighbor who left his chevy Yukon at his cabin for 1 week well they came find that they pry hood to put bad oil in engine He knew who was and it was next house who never get along with them.

10. rickbays

rickbays Member

I would get some locking style lug nuts. Ive been in a major tire store for 13 years. Ive never had any wheels off unless the wheels where not torqued to the the amount with a torque wrech. Someone is messing with your nuts (lug nuts that is). We never use and lock tight or anti seeze.

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

alwyas use anti sieze on a plow truck can never use enough,

12. Milwaukee

this why I use because tired of lug stuck to stud but put little is ok but too much not good.

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Are you using a torque wrench and re torquing them after 50 miles then again after a few hundred? I've used antiseize on a few different vehicles and never had an issue with lugs, added bonus properly torquing them will lead to longer brake life and make it a whole lot easier to remove the wheels later on.

14. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Maby if it is just that tire and this has happened twice now I would replace the studs and lug nuts, not expensive but a little timely

15. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Stupid question, what are you torquing them to and what are they suppose to be at?

16. Milwaukee

I mean if I don't use antiseize then lug would be rust to stud that why it hard to remove so i use antiseize to keep lug from rust to stud.

I do torque wrench with expensive one snap on.

17. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

replace both the lugs and the studs. you got one of two things wrong. a stripped or damaged set of lugs or studs it may only be one or 2 lugs or studs damaged. or set of streached set of studs.

Either way the wheel bouncing around on the studs with loose lugs, should have town up the threads. take a good look at the wheel and make sure the holes are not rounded out, this can make a lug loosen up also.

18. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

so whats is like when your wheel falls off anyway??

19. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Well if its the front you do circles to what ever side falls off not fun at 40 plus

20. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

yea and all the body damage and other stuff that happens when it falls off. and is se pa ever going to see snow this yr!!!