1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Dilema - What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by darryl g, Nov 3, 2011.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Ok, here's the deal. I do lawn care/landscaping most of the year and snow plowing in the winter. My route is mostly residential with one factory parking lot. The tires I have on my truck now are Firestone all terrains that were marginal last year and I feel would be inadequate for plowing this season. They aren't the most aggressive for snow, even when new. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck...it's a 2003 with 48k on it. The tires are 3 years old at this point I think...maybe going into 4th season. They still have enough tread for general use, just not plowing. So what would you do?

1) Put on a new set of 4 all seasons more suitable for plowing

2) Put 2 new tires on matching the current ones on the front

3) Put 2 new tires on matching the current ones on the rear

4) Get a set of 4 snow tires, either on steel rims or have them switched

5) Get 2 snow tires and put on the rear (what my tire dealer suggested)

If I went with 4 new tires I could go up a size or 2...these are LT245 75 R16s. The plow is a Boss Power VXT 8'2". Most of my driveways are pretty "mellow" but I do have a couple with some decent climbs that could put me "in the trees" if I screw up.

I really hate to just toss these tires since they have more life left in them but it's clear that I have to do something. I don't want to be chaining up for a 6 inch wet snow storm.

So what would you do?

I'm leaning toward a set of dedicated snows on steel rims. I'll still be looking at a new set of street tires in a year or 2 if I do that though.

2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

I would just put a lot (1,100 lbs) in the back of the truck and keep running what you have. when the tred is wore out and you need to replace them i have had real good luck with bfg all terrains. good tred and get quite a few miles out of each set.

good luck

3. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Here's the tires..forgot the pics

TireDilema 001.jpg

TireDilema 002.jpg

TireDilema 003.jpg

TireDilema 004.jpg

4. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I'm sorry, that wasn't one of the options, lol. I do load the truck up pretty good for the bigger storms but I had to chain up twice last winter when I probably wouldn't have if I had better tires on. I think it's not only tread depth that comes into play with plowing tires but also how "sharp" they are. After they've spun a bit they get "dull" with the edges of them wearing and they just don't bite very well.

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't put a lot of miles on, so get 4 brandy new ones that work good in snow. I wouldn't say Cooper M&S, but maybe BFG's. You're not going to wear them out very quickly but will pay for themselves while plowing.

Never understood the concept of only replacing 2 tires, unless you have steer and drive tires on 2WD.

6. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Very good topic! Im in the same boat. I too have a set of tires that have seen their better days. Infact that few inches of snow a few days ago can contest to that. I been looking at MasterCraft only because the price is around what im looking to spend. I have 245-65-16 on it now. "2500 ram" I got them last year from a friend they were brand new. Well just about. The right size is 265-75-16. Im thinking about going up to 285-75-16? Whats everyones thoughts? Shold I go with the right size for plowing? "265-75-16? Or can I move up to alittle bigger size? :help:

7. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the input so far guys. I think I forgot to mention that it's a Silverado 2500HD, 2003 as I said previously.

8. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

Tires are one of the front line defenses when plowing. There are enough other things that can go bump in the night to worry about. When the fuel guage is near empty, all of us tend to fill it up before a storm. I think the same logic should apply to tires! There must be some other landscaper who would be willing to buy those tires from you, because they do look good enough for in-season use.

9. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Best answer, buy a used set of steel wheels, not very expensive and then check out Treadwright web site for winter tires, have run the as snow only for years. Get the added wear control additive they have, it really works! I would not go up in size much unless you have adjustment in your mount to keep level. Most all blade wear issues are related to mis-aligned plow.

10. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

I would suggest winter tires on steelies if you can afford that...or get a good set of aggressive all season tires...(love my BFG's)......make sure you have serious weight in the rear.
    I would not suggest going up a tire size, it's fine (good) spring summer and fall but in the winter you want a narrow tire to cut through the snow, larger tires are like ski's on top you will slide around

11. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

BFG all-terrains are an excellent tire. I would recommend those. I run them on my expedition and my rangers. The one ranger I plow with. Tires are unbelievable in the snow.

12. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Your only going to get one more summer out of those tires, so get 4 new ones now, and in the spring put the old ones back on and run em till fall then get rid of em.

13. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Thanks for the info guys! I see alot of guys running the BFG tires. Whats a set like that run? Anyone buy a set of 265-75-16 in the BFG?? Also what kind of BFG are they? I got a set of tires for my wifes car from tire rack.com and 1 out of the 4 tires had a bubble on the sidewall. They pretty much told me to go pound sand! So im a little leary of on-line tires now. I just looked up that site "treadwright" they have some nice looking tires and cheap but whats the catch??

14. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

The treadwrights are recaps. But even being, several guys from our off-road group run them and haven't had issues with them. They also have a traction additive (coca shells), that greatly increase the ice traction.

15. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Also, if you look at them, they recap them with tread patterns very similar to major manufacturers.

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

X2
    Just bought a set of 285s for the super duty, have a set of half warn BFGs on the Yukon. They are all around GREAT tires, I also had good luck with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors.

17. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

BFG's blahhh. Been there done that, for a short time at least. They were one of the shortest life treads I've used 20,000 miles and they were garbage. Maybe if you're only gonna run them in the winter they might last. I prefer the Michelin tires, sure they don't look as aggressive but they work just as well and are quiter and they last longer. I may try some treadrights next though.

18. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I like my Goodyear Duratracs so far but only have 200 miles on them but did a lot of looking and asking before i bought them almost all had good things to say. And they are rated top at Tire Rack

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Get yourself 4 Snow tires.
    In fact get Cooper Discoverer M&S It is a very aggresive snow tire and you will wonder why you ever went without them after having a set. Best tire for snow there is. Can even be studded if your state allows. Save the 4 you have now for off season.

discoverer M&S.jpg

discoverer M&S.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  20. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I have Duratracs, as well. I run them only in the winter. I used them all last plow season, and they were awesome. Great on ice and hard pack, and dig great in the deep stuff. Quiet on the pavement for as aggressive as they are. Actually, quieter than my BFG AT KO's I run in the summer.

I would replace all four, on some different wheels, and run them only during plowing season.

kevlars