1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Choices for an F250 gas 4x4 Super cab

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bayberryservices, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Bayberryservices

Bayberryservices Junior Member
    from NNJ

I am sure this subject has been beat to hell, I have not found enough info so here it goes.... Thank you ahead of time for all you seasoned vets point of view! This is only my third year, I learn more all the time.

I have rims that I plan on mounting dedicated snow tires just for the season. I will obviously remove these rim/snow tires at end of season.It appears a thinner tire 235, vs 265/75/R16 - which I have now, may be a better choice - although I have heard some hesitation because of carrying weight (I carry about 1000lbs of salt in bags) and turning / stability issues. Again, I will just use these tires for plowing.

I also have heard of siping (additional thin cuts perpendicular to treads for added traction).

I would like very aggressive, great performing snow tires - the more research I do the more I want to kill myself.

Is there a difference in tread configuration for a dedicated snow vs all terrain?

Recently I came across these - check this link / site out. Retread with shells and glass, very interesting and look really aggressive. http://www.treadwright.com/p-28-235-85-r16-crawler-m-t-e.aspx

Thanks,
    Bill
    Bayberryservices@aol.com

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Retread...I would run away, far far away.
    I do not even know if retreads are even legal to run on the hwy anymore or not.
    I know years ago you could, my dad used to sell retreads for light trucks, and hadto refund everyones moeny or replace the tires since they would come apart.
    Retreads are hard to ballance if you can even ballance them at all.

the 235/85/16 are E rated and would handle the weight of the salt just fine, and I think you can get the 265/75/16 in E rated. I think the 235 and 265 are close tothe same diameter, but I would have to check..

Tire shoping is a pain, but why buy tires just for the winter, then you have to have another set of rims and change them, store the others.. seems like a pain to me, just buy a good set and leave them on the truck.

myself I like Cooper Discover LT but they quit making them. Multi_mile makes a great tire, (wild country MTX) but they are all on back order. Tires are getting harder to get and more expencive since alot of companies have went out of business and the tariff taxes for the ones imported (most tires are made in Asia countries and India)..

3. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

235/85/16 firestone winterforce lt load range e studded, enough said

4. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

we run retread cooper 235/85/16's with out an issue. i've run cooper retreads for about 15 years, and have yet to have one fail.... the only failures i've seen, were ones that were run low on air..... alot... and they would throw the tread...

i like the retreads, the compound is softer, and wears out faster, but grips better as well. the last set we bought, were $100/tire(canadain$$) mounted and ballanced.

5. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I also live in Jersey and ran a dedicated snow tire,Copper Discoverer ,they worked well.When it came time for new tires,for the amount of snow we get,I couldn't justify two sets so I went with Mastercraft CT tires,they work great,I'd buy them again,I would also take a look at Goodyear Dura Tracs and if your running 16" rims,B.F. Goodrich Commercial Traction.Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  6. rebert

rebert Senior Member

I just got the mastercraft msr.. i love em so far they ride nice and just did great in the storm we had..

7. Bayberryservices

from NNJ

Studs would be great, pretty sure not allowed in New Jersey. I will not be running on Hwy. Have residential accounts and a couple small commercial lots.
    -B

8. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

For what it's worth,I don't think you need studded tires in NJ.

9. Bayberryservices

from NNJ

I am going to check into all these tires mentioned. Interesting point, ------ not able to balance retreads? Has anyone viewed that site?? (I put a link on my initial post. Walnut shells and glass... intriguing.)

10. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

cooper had a tire that had carbide embeded in it.... kinda like studs, with out the studs. it never caught on though.

if i was running summer and winter tires...... stud the winter ones. pure ice, and hard pack it makes a big difference. IMHO :drinkup:

11. Bayberryservices

from NNJ

12. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

I had BFG All Terrain tires and they were the best in the snow.
    Next tires I get, I will be back to the BFG's.
    I also am in Jersey and no studded snow tires allowed.

13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Interesting point, ------ not able to balance retreads? .)[/QUOTE]

that was my experiance with them, but then again that was several years ago, things may have improved since then.

it has something to do with the recaping process, getting the rubber to be even whne you vulcanize the treads on as well as how good the balance of the recap is itself. When dad sold them, it was like trying to balance a tire half full of rocks. but like I said,things may be different now.

14. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I am very happy with my Cooper Discoverer ATR's

15. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

If you do some research, Treadwright is a reputable retreading facility, and they use the newest, most up to date retreading processes available. Their 'retread' is constructed in the same way a new tire is- watch a video. All used cores they buy have to go through a thorough inspection process, and they stand by their tires- they do have a warranty you know!?

I would look up the current technological breakthroughs we have had around the tire industry- Dr. Who-

16. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Yokohama Geolander AT/S!! Bald Yoks are better than no yoks.

17. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Treadwrights in the BFG AT tread pattern! I got a set this year with the walnut shells/glass in them. They have been amazing! They actually balance the tires before sending them. They balanced up fine on my wheels. They also look great, it is really hard to tell they are even retreads. I've done a lot of research and never heard of anyone throwing a tread yet. I got a lot of disapproving looks from friends and the guy who mounted them, but I would definetly buy again.

18. wilkie

wilkie Junior Member

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html
    Enter your sizes into this site and it will tell you the height and speed differences.

I put 235 on mine and yes the were narrower but also shorter and looked real stupid. speedo was out and gas consumption went up. was a bad choice I thought didn't feel I gained anything. went back to 265 with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor was highly recommended have had no problems other than its a bit more difficult to do a donut in a parking lot.

19. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

A size I like to use but it very hard to find is 255/85.

20. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I put these geolanders on my duramax in november. They were big bucks, but i have never has such good traction in 15 years of snowplowing!