1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire choice question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Jayslawncare, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Jayslawncare

Jayslawncare Junior Member

Ive been running BFG"S all terrains on my trucks for a while but I am getting NO mileage outta them about 25-30,000 per set. The size is 285-70-17...What are you guys running for a decent all terrain tire without spending a rediculous amount of money. Thanks alot

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I run Toyos but use the HT (hiway tread) I get great milege, they are fine in the snow.
    They are not cheap, similar to Michelin ltx's but I got longer life out of the toyos
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i just got a set of general grabber at2, they look like a bfg tread design and are supposed to be really good in the snow. I only have a couple thousand miles on mine but they grip pretty good. the tire shop recommended them for wear with my truck being a diesel and all. i paid 750 for the set. :dizzy:
  4. Jayslawncare

Jayslawncare Junior Member

Thanks for the info...Mine is a diesel too but an 06. Ill have to check them out cause i kinda wanted to stay under the 1000 dollar mark.
  5. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Ive used alot of tires on my trucks bfgs sucked,michellin overpriced general worn too fast my choices

(load range E) of course-goodyear wrangler slient armor or cooper discover ATR
  6. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

BFG is great for grip, but not for wear, too soft of a compound.
  7. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

I've been running Goodyear SilentArmours and get plenty of traction in the winter. Lots of my buddies swear by cooper m+s.
  8. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I have Toyo open country AT's on my 01' diesel and have no complaints, only have 6,000 miles but looks like they are wearing well and good traction.
  9. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I'm running 285-70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade tires and they are the best I've ever run... This will be my 2nd season with them, so I guess I would estimate that I'll get about 40,000 miles out of them...
  10. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Check the cooper discoverer S/T, good 10 ply tire for the price. If they are to aggressive try the M+S I think they also come in a 10 ply tire but ask to make sure.
  11. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Cooper M+S nice and tall
    hercules snows (off-cooper) are economy choice.
    Fourth year plowing with the coops +/- 1200 hrs and still good for the rest of the yeartymusic
  12. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I was going to say in a 285/70/17, Load E tires aren't available, but Load D are.

Tires I've heard good things about:
    Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade
    Firestone Destination AT
    Bridestone Dueler AT Revo

I personally think the wrangler does better in deep mud and snow as well as ice. The Firestone was an all around better tire for daily use. The Bridestone wasn't bad either. However, the Bridgestone comes with a 50k mileage warranty. Sears Auto matches TR's prices Shipped, and when they wear out, the pro-rate the mileage back and I get credit towards new tires.

I picked the Goodyears because of the tough sidewall and tread, and quiet ride. Besides I figured those snow flake mountain symbols aren't given freely, and if they are reserved for winter tires and are on this tire, thats a good thing.
  13. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

Im runnin the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor ProGrade and they are awesome, only had them for few hundred miles but have heard LOTS of good things about them. I run 1000lbs worth of tractor weights in the bed and havent had to put the truck in 4wd yet as traction is great! On hard pack snow you have to TRY to get the tires to spin and thats with 450+hp in front of them hahah

14. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I just put a set of Kumho 235 85R 16's not sure the model, I think they are called KC 11 or something starting with a K. They are nice and skinny and cut through deep snow well, they are a directional snow tire and are well sipped, so far I am impressed how much bit they give on slippery winter roads.
  15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at the Nitto Dura Grappler in a 285/ 75 17. They are a newer tire and are advertised as being for heavy light trucks. Load range E
  16. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here they seem good so far.
  17. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

18. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

I'm not sure if they are made in a 275? But I'm having great luck with BFG'S Commercial TA Traction tires.