1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by leigh, Nov 27, 2009.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've got a international 4700 dump with fisher 10' mc and sander . Traction leaves much to be disired. Anyone running
    chains or cable style chains? Pros , cons.
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you have traction issues even with a sander in the back of the truck?
  3. leigh

from CT

I don't have problems on my level lots. but when i push over curbs and i'm heading downhill its tough to get traction in reverse I use an aggressive tread for plowing but it only helps a little. Even when my sander is full (5 tons ) traction not real good. Some storms are worse than others, seems like once i start to clear snow the pavement freezes over creates a glaze that you don't notice as much in a 4x4.
    turns into a skating rink. Typical coastal new england wet snow

if that makes sense
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You might try getting your tires siped. Would make a huge difference. I only run pickups, but haved used chains. They rule plowing, but really slow down travel time.
  5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya i hear ya about backing up an incline, my dump body does the same, even with a small sander in the back but as far as a straigh push, it handles decently, even after the lots start to glaze over...it'll struggle occassionally and i guess it sort of something i just accepted...i thought about chains but figured they'd ruin the pavement in the parking lots
  6. jamartz

jamartz Member

My concern would also be about the pavement. i guess if you don't spin a tire with them on you may be ok, but I once got stuck in a lot (not plowing at the time, just dropping off a friend for work in a storm). I had chains on my little Bronco II at the time, I spun alot trying to rock it back and forth and It actually cut small grooves in the concrete. I know that becasue it was an electric drive through gate i was stuck in and it actually tore one of the wires........I had to pay to fix it. Well my insurance paid for it but not untill I took them to court over it.

Also travel time would be a concern for me, I have about a 30 mile route total drive time in between places, chains can slow you down some.
  7. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I run a similar size truck w/ 10' plow. I carry chains, but rarely use them. Maybe 2-3 times a season. I have used them in icy conditions. You have to be careful not to spin the tires, either accelerating or braking. That will leave marks on concrete and shorten chain life considerably. Normal driving will leave some marks on bare pavement, but I've never had a complaint. Of course that's on city streets.

Select a chain designed for snow plowing. V-bar type is pretty aggresive. Also consider your local DOT laws on chains.

I use a heavy duty twisted link, single wheel style chain on my outside wheel instead of the dual wheel type. Cheaper, easier to install/remove, reduced storage room in the cab, and still provides sufficient traction in my opinion. I would recommend the cam tighteners (instead of bungee cords). Very easy install, just have to keep track of that dang cam wrench.

Chains do slow you down. 30 mph is tops between jobs and lots of miles on bare pavement (like salted city streets) will kill chains.

My advice is carry them and use them only when needed.
  8. leigh

from CT

Thanks guys,
    I think i'll pick up a pair and see how they work. It kills me to have
    to plow in this truck(standard) . Meanwhile my 20 yr old nephew is driving my 04 HD duramax chevy - blizzard 810 ,thinks he's king of the plow world. But I don't trust anyone else to drive it. Held off putting plow on it for 4yrs .Sold my mason dump and another pick-up trying to cut down on overhead. Down to 2- trucks , 2 skid-steers. Now if I could figure out how to use my excavator for snow I'll be all set
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  9. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Back down the incline.....Spreading material...That's the only way to do it...I've sanded in an old 1985 Mack 6 wheeler & had some steep hills on my route so I'd back down my route spreading material...never got stuck that way

10. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

11. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

you should be able to throw enough material under your tires with your spreader to be able to back up any hill

drive down the hill plowing, drop a little sand or whatever your using, then hit the sander again has you start to back up...a whole lot easier then screwin with chains
  12. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Has anyone tried automatic chains like they use on city trucks and ems vehicles. I saw them at my plow installer on a township truck. Looked pretty slick. That way you only deploy them when you need them w/out even getting out of the truck. check out this website www.onspot.com/indhisfr.htm
  13. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

On Spots or Insta Chains are ok for travel. They are not designed for use when you are already in trouble. If your in trouble its too late. They require the vehicle to be moving when you activate and or deactivate them.

IMO, you cant beat a good set of V bar chains. You have put them on before or after your in trouble.