1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Richard Fazio, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Richard Fazio

Richard Fazio Junior Member
    from NY

I figured I'd ask the experts about this. I need to get a set of chains for my totally off road pickup. I use it to plow a dirt drive. What's the best set of chains I can get, and where to get them?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Do you have a VIP close by? They're probably going to be the cheapest. I don't think much of the quality of the stuff they sell, but doesn't sound like you need high quality. Other than that, any discount tire store.
  3. Richard Fazio

Richard Fazio Junior Member
    from NY

I do want the best I can get. I had a set of regular car tire chains on the truck. My neigbor used the truck and ripped the chains off two wheels. I thought it was just him. So I go and put the remaining two chains on the front of the truck and I ripped off another set. I was being real carefull not to spin them also. The chains I had were real old from my father. My drive is about 1000ft and very ruff. I'm tired of fighting with the snow and getting stuck. I want to put on a good set of heavy chains and forget them. I see they have 3/8" chains at www.tirechains.com. What do you think of these?
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Looks like a great selection of high quality tire chains.
  5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

some of the best chains i've seen are made by the OFA company (formerly ovako).

keep in mind that chains need to be tensioned properly, or they will come off.

when the truck is "chained up" , you have to drive totally different, the chains wont take much tire spin, so go slow and steady.

all chains will eventually break so learn how to fix them.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Yes, they wiil. You should inspect them after each use, keep extra cross links on hand to make repairs. I carry chain pliers and bolt cutters in the truck when I've got them on for field service.

I had one twist once and puncture the tire, so keep an eye on things too while using them. I was impressed with Tirechains site too. There was another thread here recently that had a few more links, try a search to find it.
  7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

TWO words... GERMAN MADE.

Pewag is the brand you want, hardened chain. Nothing against us americans... but their stuff will last the longest. Be really carefull with 3/8" chain up front and your brake lines. A member here cut a brake line and totalled a truck.

8. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Do a search on tire chains here. I have written extensively on chains and their use. Mounting them properly is also very important.

Look for "bar reinforced chains" at your parts store. Peerless makes an excellent set of chains for light truck use.

Any other questions just ask.

9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a set of the V-Bar type. They are very good and my cost was close to the listed price on that web site. They will wear better on dirt roads.