1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Chains

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowdevil, Jan 21, 2005.

1. snowdevil

snowdevil Junior Member

Just got a pair of tire chains for my F-550 Dumper, do you keep them on all storm or remove and use only at nasty situations?
  2. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Once my chains go on they generally stay on until I'm done, on the theory that if I needed them once, there will be something else just as nasty. The only exception would be if I had to run more than a mile or two on bare pavement.
  3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

when i use mine it is only if i think i am going ot be in a bad spot or i know it is going to be ruff. but i can't stand to travel on mine....just to ruff, although you could drive through 4 ft with them on... :D
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Once I put them on I usually leave them on as they are a pain in the ass to put on. If you are expecting a lot of snow and you're not driving long distances or at fast speeds I'd say just leave them on. I have v-bar chains, which are the worst in terms of a comforting ride. I've thought about getting cable chains, but I know they won't provide nearly the traction that the v-bars do.