1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rcnease, Oct 31, 2014.

1. rcnease

rcnease Member

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this or what everyone's thoughts are on this. Does using tire chains on the rear wheels when plowing help take some of the strain off the transmission? My thought is if the tires aren't spinning as much, even if you aren't really feeling the slippage, that maybe it would help take some strain off the transmission. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

1. This is the pictures section.

2. How does that make any sense? If anything, they will add strain because now the truck is able to keep traction when maybe it shouldn't. If you run out of traction that easy you're not plowing right, your tires are junk, or you're trying to push too much. Chains really don't have much of a place for normal commercial plowing. Keep them for getting unstuck and then take them off.
  3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I think tire chains increase the chances of damaging the drive train. The best thing you can do is make sure you have good snow tires on all four wheels and only push what the truck can handle without tearing up equipment.
  4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

not at all .

5. rcnease

rcnease Member

I understand what you all are saying and I certainly understand the good tires etc. I ask because I do a residential neighborhood for the county and there are a lot of hills and I live in an area that is on that dreadful line where we can get ice instead of snow really easy. So chains is a viable option since studded tires are banned. So I was just wondering as I was thinking of putting on chains to be a little safer around all the vehicles parked in the streets.

Thanks for the replies
  6. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I only run chains when I need to. Only during icy conditions tho.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You're scenario sounds OK for chains if it just gets too slick. However, they won't take any strain off anything. I assumed you were plowing parking lots or driveways.
  8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Pretty sure chains are illegal here. You in western md?
  9. rcnease

rcnease Member

No I plow in Anne Arundel County. I have never heard about chains being illegal in MD. I know studded tires are.
  10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I used to plow in Anne Arundel. We did a few in edgewater a few years ago. Now I'm in pg

I live in calvert. I don't own chains and quite honestly scared of them lol
  11. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Guys run chains up here in AK, but that's kind of a different ball game. And that's more about Terrain then anything else.