1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire chains?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Oct 19, 2013.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Can anyone that used tire chains give me some pro's and cons on tire chains, and also maybe a link to a company you would recomend. I've never used chains, but I have a couple sketchy private lanes I do that it would be nice to be able to get up them every once in a while. Also are they ok on pavement, especially customers driveways. Don't want to scratch them all up. Also how is the drive like with chains? Any advice would be great, Also anyone ever put them on a dually?
  2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Chains will turn your truck into a tank. If you use v bar chains you can "mark" the pavement especially if you spin tires.Over the road you have to slow down, if you drive on sections of bare pavement it will feel like your truck is going to vibrate apart. I bought my chains online from Costco, very reasonable.(blue diamond?) Don't use them now, I sold my 2 wheel drive dump. Probably good to have on hand just in case. I could have used them last year when we got that insane 39":help:
  3. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

So it would probaly help to have a set in the truck to quickly install if you feel you need them in a hurry, and take them off when you don't need them. Anyone have any good chain recomendations?
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

This may be a help to you

I've run V-Bar and S-Links, the V-Bars are very good when max traction is needed but the ride rough and really tear up the ground-hard surfaces, S- Links are a great general purpose chain and much easier on hard surfaces.
    I have both types and only use the V-Bar when I'm hunting or driving off road. I have the Heavy-Duty S-Links and would suggest them to anyone thats polwing our using chains on the street. Also I prefer the CAM Locks vs the Hook, the cams allow you to get the chains tighter and more uniformly located on the tire.
    I don't have a dually but if I did i'd probably run them on both tires.
  5. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

All I can say is, DON'T wait till its white out blizzard conditions to try them out for the first time. I did, and I ended up throwing one side which can wreak havoc on brake lines because i had such a difficult time adjusting and securing them. The hooks suck as someone said above, Id get something stronger and more exact. Tally ho!
  6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I wouldn't want to run chains on blacktop.
    I do have chains on my heep, but it will never see a blacktop.
  7. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I had a set for my lifted Ford years ago and it was unstoppable on a hill.Always thought of getting them again just in case the storm of the century happens and nobody out there is able to move. Ca-Ching !!!!!
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

I bought these last year. http://www.tirechainsupply.com/product210.html

Positives: They provide amazing traction. You won't believe it. I used them on one route that has long uphill driveways, and we only used them on two giant storms last year. They really worked. Pretty low cost.

Negatives: They scratch up the pavement very easily. We even gouged up a driveway pretty bad when the tires spun just a little. You should try them and test them long before you need them. They need to be on right, or you can cause serious damage to the truck. They may be illegal, I can't get a straight answer.
  9. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Well I never ended up buying chains yet, but I have a story from today to tell. I get a call after I'm done with my route from a friend that I don't plow for asking me to come plow there lane up the mountain by the local ski resort, I figured there would be alot of snow up there if they were calling me. I say sure why not. Find ther lane and start plowing it thinking everything is gonna be easy until about 300 yards I come to an insanely steep hill about a 150 yard climb i would say with around 6 inches or so. It's a schale dirt road that had a layer of ice under the snow and also a nice drop off the side of the lane that had me worried. Plus I have a extended cab dually which suck on these conditions. I should have backed up and plowed down like I normally do with my dually on lanes like this( that seems to work the best for my truck) but I decicided to go up the lane, half way up I spin out and start sliding backwards towards the drop off, I was screwed, couldn't move at all. But a neighbor happened to have a set of tire chains off a older truck that he had laying around, they were alittle to big and there was extra play in them, and I could only use them on my front tires. Well the chains got me out and straighten out to were I could back down the lane. And from there I backed up the lane and finished getting the lane plowed. The chains were slapping around on the rim because of the loose play but I got the job done. I'm gonna buy a set here soon for my truck to put on in these situatuions. That was fun todayThumbs Up