1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Chains on Pickups and Single Axles

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tastebeer, Jan 28, 2010.

1. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

Just curious what people are using these days for chains on pickup trucks and larger trucks. My supplier has three types Alloy which they say last longer and are 60% higher, Cross Bar Ice Grips, and then regular chains with the cam style tighters. We have not had a large snow 24" for 10 years around here until Dec 09, so I had no need for them. I want to purchase chains to replace what I need and for some new/used trucks that are in my fleet.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The V-bar chains dig better, and last much longer. I only run them on the rear when I use them, but I have a loaded spreader for weight.

3. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

I use v -bar. Haven't had to use them for plowing, only on icy hilly roads. Work like a tank. Wouldn't be without just in case. Keep them in cab all the time during winter.

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

How hard are they to put on a pick up?

A client is trying to get me to plow their driveway next year and I question if Ill be able to do it because it has such an incline and ice build up. If I could put the chains on quick enough I would be willing to try the driveway. No complaints?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They don't too terribly long to put on, but it's not much fun. Cold, wet, etc. I ordered the little blocks from AW Direct to help put them on. The thing is that you need to get them tight. I usually drive them a bit then re-tighten them. And use a couple 10 or 12 inch heavy duty bungees. If you can find the V-bars with Cam Locks, get them.

Once you plow with them, you'll wonder why you waited so long. I would use them all the time, but I cover about 75 miles a storm. That's a long time at 25 mph on the black top.

For that steep drive, if you don't have a V-plow, you might want to pass on it.

6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I use hardened twisted link on my dump truck. They are not as aggressive as V-bar, but I haven't had a problem with traction. I use them on deep snows, but generally remove them as soon as I can go without them. It takes me a cold 7 minutes to put them on.

7. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

No to bad to install. Just keep something in the truck to lay on when installing. The back side of the tire you just get them as tight as possible with the S hook. Tighten up the fronts and use a couple of bungees to keep them tight. Check after the first 1/4 mile and make sure all is tight. I don't drive over 10mph but I'am just cautious. Really incredible when you use them.

8. emerson

emerson Junior Member

Putting chains on is only a few minutes a side if you've had practice. If the space between the tire and fender is tight it can be a real *****; if it's a commercial vehicle with air suspension you can usually set up an override to raise the suspension to the max for ease of chaining up. DON'T WAIT TO GET STUCK. If you're already half buried chaining up can be a real chore.

9. Be careful to check the manuals. On some of the newer Chev. / GMC trucks there is not enough clearance between the suspension arms and the brake lines for use of tire chains. One bump and you don't have brakes any more. Don't ask how I learned.
    Also on some dual wheel trucks with radial tire the tire bulge at the bottom causes the chains to cut into the side wall of the tires and no clearance on the inner tire to the suspension for dual chains.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I chains only on the rears of my GM. But I also have 3K of weight in the back :D

11. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Used chains until about five years ago when we switched to studded Nokian Hak's on all fours , the chains have only been out of the buckets once since . If you go the chain route take the time to set them for your tire size before you need them and as said put them on before your are stuck . Good spiders and a few wire ties will save a lot of paint and brake lines .

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Good chains are worth the money.

Hey not sure if you already bought some or not:dizzy: But for what its worth JC Whitney has a cross link chain that is ok if you are only going to use them the odd time for like $78 with free shipping. If you want good ones that will last I would recomend the Pewag" ones made in Austria[ case hardened cross links] ................. the are a V bar; with cams on the sides . Very high quality; and the grip is unreal I have a driveway the is 600 ft with a good grade uphill all the way to the lot we have to plow and sometimes it goes from glare ice to 2ft of snow so its tough .......... besides that it drifts like crazy. The Pewag V chains make a big difference and are cheap at a hundred bucks I think we paid from TruckNTow when you need them!
    So it all boils down to how much you use them if its only on rare occasions probably the Whitney ones would last for years [Chinese???} especially if you kept them in a bucket of diesel fuel when you were not using them. I have a good friend that plows 17 miles of dirt road and he put me onto the Austrian chains a few years back and they are top notch:redbounce I have some SCC V Bars on my tractor and they are not made out of the same stuff........................ as far as putting them on is consirned they are a PITA if you wait till your stuck although with that said I bet that 70% of the time I can just throw them in back of the tires and back right out over them????? A lot of guys dont think so but the second set is just as effective as the first set and chains on all four is the ultimate outfit.................... I never need that much but it is the final answer if you are fresh out of ideas ................. good luck;)

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The problem I had with the cheap chains is running them on the hottop. Less than a hundred miles and really wouldn't want to run them down the road again. Some of the links were worn half through.