1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Chains: Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

we use a grasshopper with a 48" snow blower on the front for sidewalks...we have gone through two sets of chains now, and chains are a must...any ideas of a better chain? i have heard people welding something together but i don't even know where to start...these chains just aren't cutting it, i can't be going through chains every storm, too expensive to begin with not to mention the downtime of putting them on, and having them in stock
  2. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

In what way are the chains failing? Are they breaking or are your wearing through them?
  3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

We have somehow gotten by without chains on ours. I agree they are probably a must. Ours is slipping n sliding all over the place. Really hope they will belp the traction. Otherwise I am not sure about grasshoppers being used for snow.
  4. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Maybe try some chains or cables for a small car? I imagine once you get something to fit they will be more durable.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Regular cross link chains wont last long. You need something like welded V-bar chains. Check out tirechain.com
  6. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

We are just wearing right through them...we try not to spin out on concrete but that's simply inevitable...the first set lasted us 2 hours, then we realized how fragile these chains are...it didn't even cross my mind that this would happen...the grasshopper is awesome with the snowblower, even without chains, but chains make it so much easier
  7. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Awesome, thanks...I'll check into that right now
  8. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

R atv chains any heavier
  9. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Alright so it looks like as far as chains go you have 3 options...cross link, diamond, and V bar...as far as durability goes, does it also go in that order? And is there an alternative like steel bars or is that just stupid?
  10. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

You might also try some agricultural style bar tires. Back when we used a John Deere garden tractor with a blower the bar tires made a huge difference over turf tires.
  11. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I don't know what size tire you have, but you may also want to consider heavy truck chains. A little modification to the length (only) is easy. And then if needed, you can use tighteners across the outside of the tire.
  12. s10driv

s10driv Junior Member

I had the same problem useing a john deere garden tractor plowing walks. Went throough two sets of chains . Finally figured out the the less expensive chains had a cross chain every four links. Spent the extra money on a set of chains with a cross chain every two links lasted the rest of the season.