1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire chains for a dually

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Anybody have a source for dually tire chains that are not going to cost more then the trucks worth? I have ben looking and prices are $300 up, I just want something for when it gets bad out, if it ever does.

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

did you try tirechains.com?
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

yup, they said that they were OTR chains for semi's, and that they could be cut down . but they are not sutible for plowing or long term use.

thanks for the reply:drinkup:

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Two options I would consider, not knowing anymore info.
    1. Run on-spots on the inner tires. Works well if deployed when moving but high initial install cost
    2. Put chains on the outer tires. Takes time at every install but provides constant traction and cost is low. This is what we do for our fire trucks and works very well. The only time I had to chain my dually I did this and had excellent results.

If we do need to chain we also run them in the front, but that is a different story. With the weight of both the plow and the spreader the truck seems to get traction from both front and rear.
  5. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I've seen a site with exactly what you're looking for. I just can't recall it. I'll see if I can find it and repost. Don't despair, they are out there and I think they are around $200.