1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire chains? Are they important?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by bstout, Nov 5, 2007.

1. bstout

bstout Member

I just purchased a new Boss Sport Duty 7 1/2 for my Toyota Tundra 4X4. I have a half mile long dirt driveway. Should I have a pair of tire chains? I've got Goodyear Silent Armor Wrangler tires on my Tundra. I'm not sure what to expect?

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Nope. Just put a little weight in the back. Boss should have recommended weight for ballast, subtract the weight of you cap and you are set.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Flipper's right. Don't bother with chains unless you're going to have some really steep hills.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

or you get a heavy snow with ice on top i have put chains on 3/4 and 1 ton truck before to break the ice or the steep grades
  5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly, who runs chains anymore??
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah last time i was out rubber and freezing rain dont go to well so yeah people still use chains
  7. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

i always like keeping a pair in my truck just in case think if you somehow lost your 4 wheel drive
  8. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

Not many people use chains anymore, but it is the ones that dont even carry them anymore that are the real fools. Theres nothing like knowing in the middle of the night in a whiteout that you have a back up plan!!!
  9. baltz526

baltz526 Member

i always run chains on both ends, if you want to get it done and not tear up your equipment, chains help a lot. it takes me 5 minutes to chain up 4 wheels, i then run them till the roads break up to bare pavement. rear ballast is also mandatory
  10. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

I did last year on Full Sized Blazer, but the tires were not that great, then I got a set of Winterforce tires w/Studs and have not had a need for the chains. But, they are close at hand in case.