1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Chain Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by racingnplowin, Jan 29, 2011.

1. racingnplowin

racingnplowin Junior Member

I am thinking about buying a set of tire chains for my 2009 Chevy 2500 crew cab with a 8 foot boss plow and 265/70-17 tires? Any ideas as to which ones I should get? What type of tensioners and accessories should I get to go along with them?

2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I have some chains for the same size tire on my Dodge. Custom made by a local logging outfit. Make sure you check your brake line routing. Not an issue on my Dodge but I know it was on my neighbor's 2000 Chevy. He found out the hard way!
    I just use some bungees to snug them up but you can buy chain tensioners like I use on my 4 wheeler. Northern Tool has some of those for a reasonable price.

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

If you're going to do chains, don't put them on the front end with that wheel/tire combination. You'll rub and destroy your front fenders on turns, but you'll have plenty of clearance on the rear axle.. If you want something for the front and back, I would go with cables - they work pretty well.